Main Article Content
Since the long period of political, social stability and especially the peacebuilding under the interfering of the United Nation, in 1991 the Paris Peace Accord was signed. Cambodia was settled in a peaceful state and it has achieved the basic fundamental for county’s economic development with rapidly status. Accordingly, the social protection policy has critically recognized by the government recently, however, whilst the economic gains are more likely fragile, most of the people are still in the poverty line, the long-term economic prospects are uncertain, such as its weak institution, social inequality and unemployment issues, and social protection system. The social protection system in Cambodia, as a particular, is at an early stage, and very limited. With the small proportion of the covered social insurance program, there are lifecycle shocks and economic downturn have resulted. Thus, the role of private insurance (insurance industry) in boosting the domestic financial economy, and its potential in risk management and complement state’s social insurance program have become the prime matters of considerable interest to state’s regulators and policy-makers.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- World Bank Group, H. Clear Skies: Cambodia Economic Update, 2004.
- Hill H and Menon J. Cambodia: Rapid Growth in an Open, Post-Conflict Economy. Asian Development Bank Working Paper, 2014, 12: 1649-1668. https://doi.org/10.1111/twec.12206
- Lenel F and Steiner S. Insurance and Solidarity: Evidence from a Lab-in-the-Field Experiment in Cambodia. Presented at The Institute of Labor Economics, 2017.
- Markin R and Steele J. Insurance and the Law of Obligations. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199645749.001.0001
- Vaughan EJ and Vaughan T. Fundamentals of Risk and Insurance, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2008.
- Skipper Jr KD and Klein RW. Insurance Regulation in the Public Interest: The Path Towards Solvent, Competitive Markets. The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance, 2000, 25(4): 482-504. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0440.00078
- Chen WH. Research on the Southeast Asia Insurance Market (DONGNANYA BAOXIAN SHICHANG YANJIU). China: China Financial Publishing House. (Chinese), 2015.
- David Chandler. A History of Cambodia, 4th Ed. Westview Press Publisher, 2008.
- Department of Financial Industry, Ministry of Economic and Finance. Insurance Annual Report 2006-2009, 2009.
- Cambodian Insurance Association, 2018. http://www.iac.org.kh
- OECD Development Pathways, H. Social Protection System Review of Cambodia. OEDC Development Centre. 2017.
- Corby SB. On Risk and Uncertainty in Modern Society. The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance, 1994, 72: 235-243. https://doi.org/10.1057/gpp.1994.17
- Lester R. Introduction to the Insurance Industry, The World Bank, Primer series on insurance, 2009.
- Abraham KS. Four Conceptions of Insurance. University of Pennsylvania Law Review, 2013, 161(3): 653-698.
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, p. Trade and Development Aspects of Insurance Services and Regulatory Frameworks. Presented at United Nations, Ad Hoc Expert Meeting on Insurance Services, 2005.
- Baker T. Insurance in Socio-legal Research. The Annual Review of Law and Social Science, 2010, 6: 422-447. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-lawsocsci-102209-152839
- Stempel JW. The Insurance Policy as Social Instrument and Social Institution. William and Marry Law Review, 2010, 51: 1489-1582. Social