Main Article Content
This case is a complex presentation of Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD), social phobia and unresolved grief in a 23 year old male with no social support. He appears to have benefitted immensely from a combination of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), antidepressant medication and Occupational Therapy. Identification of patients with BDD presenting in surgical and medical practices is essential and can be facilitated by validated screening tools such as the Body Dysmorphic Disorder Questionnaire (BDDQ). At the moment, the best evidence-based treatment is CBT and Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs). Nonetheless, novel approaches to therapeutic applications include the investigation of eye-tracking focus on body parts in BDD.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Phillips KA. Body dysmorphic disorder: Recognizing and treating imagined ugliness. World psychiatry: official journal of theWorld Psychiatric Association (WPA), 2004, 3(1): 12-17.
- Jafferany M, Osuagwu FC, Khalid Z, et al. Prevalence and clinical characteristics of body dysmorphic disorder in adolescent inpatient psychiatric patients - a pilot study. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, 2019, 73(4-5): 244-247. https://doi.org/10.1080/08039488.2019.1612943
- Kerfant N, Henry AS, Ta P, et al. Body dysmorphic disorder and aesthetic surgery: A systematic review. Annales De Chirurgie Plastique Et Esthetique, 2015, 60(6):512-517. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anplas.2015.06.003
- Joseph AW, Ishii L, Joseph SS, et al. Prevalence of Body Dysmorphic Disorder and Surgeon Diagnostic Accuracy in Facial Plastic and Oculoplastic Surgery Clinics. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery, 2016, 19(4): 269-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anplas.2015.06.003
- Greenberg JL, Phillips KA, Steketee G, et al. Predictors of Response to Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Body Dysmorphic Disorder. Behavior Therapy, 2019, 50(4): 839-849.
- Dong N, Nezgovorova V, Hong K, et al. Pharmacotherapy in body dysmorphic disorder: relapse prevention and novel treatments. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, 2019, 10: 1211-1219. https://doi.org/10.1080/14656566.2019.1610385
- Toh WL, Castle DJ and Rossell SL. How individuals with body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) process their own face: a quantitative and qualitative investigation based on an eyetracking paradigm. Cognitive Neuropsychiatry, 2017, 22(3): 213-232. https://doi.org/10.1080/13546805.2017.1300090