Main Article Content
In 2017, Active Citizenship Network (ACN) launched the second edition of the bi-annual research-project conducted at the European level and entitled “EU Civic Prize on Chronic Pain - Collection of good practices”. This initiative aims to provide evidence of existing good practices in terms of struggle against pain across Europe. In particular, this second edition allowed ACN to give continuity to the successful collection of good practices in the struggle against pain that was started in 2015, as well as to expand the “agora” of operators of good practices on pain, encouraging the exchange of experiences among health professionals, healthcare providers, institutions, civic associations and patient advocacy groups. This article describes the main results of the second edition of the research: 40 good practices gathered from several EU countries and 4 winning best practices. The latter are all mobile apps and thus demonstrate the growing role of digital health in the treatment of chronic pain. The full research has been published in the Report entitled “Collecting Good Practices European Civic Prize on Chronic Pain Second Edition”, edited by Cittadinanzattiva Onlus (all rights reserved).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- “Minister Beatrice Lorenzin’s Opening Speech on pain therapy and palliative care Informal Council of EU Health Ministers”, Milan, 22 September, 2014. http://www.activecitizenship.net/files/patients_rights/Speech_Lorenzin_Handout_Delegate_packs_at_SIP_ENversion.pdf
- Also in the past, Active Citizenship Network and experts have already selected apps which stand out in terms of innovation and enhanced patient care. Cfr. Active Citizenship Network: “Chronic pain: making the invisible visible. European collection of good practices,2014. http://activecitizenship.net/files/chronic.pain.good.practices/making.the.invisible.visible.report.pdf
- Bhattarai P and Phillips JL. The role of digital health technologies in management of pain in older people: An integrative review. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 2017, 68: 14-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2016.08.008
- Cittadinanzattiva Onlus, “Codice di Condotta”. http://www.cittadinanzattiva.it/files/corporate/istituzionale/documenti_identita/codice_condotta_ca.pdf
- DESI is a composite index that summarises relevant indicators on Europe’s digital performance and that tracks the evolution of EU member states in digital competitiveness. Cfr. EU Commission “DESI Report 2019”. https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/desi