Main Article Content
Telomeres are associated with the ends of DNA double strands. The lengths of the telomeres are controlled by the telomerase enzyme. The shortening of the telomeres is known to relate to aging. In cancers, telomere lengths are abnormally short. Telomeres could act as buffers shielding the part of DNA coding for the proteins. For cancer cells, germ cells and stem cells the length of the telomeres is not varying. There is an analogy with microtubules, which are highly dynamical and carry a longitudinal electric field, whose strength correlates with the microtubule length. Could sticky ends generate a longitudinal field along DNA double strand with strength determined by the lengths of the sticky ends? In the standard picture the flux of the longitudinal electric field would be proportional to the difference of the negative charges associated with the sticky ends. In TGD framework, DNA strands are accompanied by the dark analog of DNA with codons realized as 3-proton units at magnetic flux tubes parallel to DNA strands and neutralizing the negative charge of ordinary DNA except at the sticky ends. This allows considering the possibility that opposite sticky ends carry opposite charges generating a longitudinal electric field along the magnetic flux tube associated with the system. DNA/Telomere bioelectric field could serve as a novel bioelectric marker to be used for prognostic and diagnostic purposes in researches of cancer, aging, surgery grafts and rejuvenation. We propsed that DNA bioelectric field can be used as a futuristic bioelectric marker of cancer, aging and death.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Athenstaedt H. Pyroelectric and piezoelectric properties of vertebrates. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1974, 238(1): 68-94. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1974.tb26780.x
- Yam SC, Zain SM, Lee VS, et al. Correlation between polar surface area and bioferroelectricity in DNA and RNA nucleobases. The European Physical Journal E, 2018, 41(7): 86. https://doi.org/10.1140/epje/i2018-11696-5
- Pitk¨anen M. Zero Energy Ontology & Consciousness. Journal of Consciousness Exploration & Research, 2020, 11(1): 1-9.
- Pitkaanen M. Topological Geometrodynamics: Revised Edition. Bentham, 2016. https://doi.org/10.2174/97816810817931160101
- Becker RO and Selden G. The Body Electric: Electromagnetism and the Foundation of Life. William Morrow & Company, Inc. , New York, 1990.
- Ma H, Zhou Z, Wei S, et al. Shortened telomere length is associated with increased risk of cancer: a meta-analysis. PloS one, 2011, 6(6): e20466. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0020466
- Haycock PC, Burgess S, Nounu A, et al. Association between telomere length and risk of cancer and non-neoplastic diseases: a Mendelian randomization study. JAMA oncology, 2017, 3(5): 636-651. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.5945
- Barthel FP, Wei W, Tang M, et al. Systematic analysis of telomere length and somatic alterations in 31 cancer types. Nature genetics, 2017, 49(3): 349-357. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng.3781
- Autexier C and Greider CW. Telomerase and cancer: revisiting the telomere hypothesis. Trends in biochemical sciences, 1996, 21(10): 387-391. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0968-0004(96)10042-6
- Shay JW, Zou Y, Hiyama E, et al. Telomerase and cancer. Human molecular genetics, 2001, 10(7): 677-685. https://doi.org/10.1093/hmg/10.7.677
- Zheng Y, Zhang F, Sun B, et al. Telomerase enzymatic component hTERT shortens long telomeres in human cells. Cell cycle (Georgetown, Tex.), 2014, 13(11): 1765-1776. https://doi.org/10.4161/cc.28705
- Rashid-Kolvear F, Pintiliet M and Done SJ. Telomere Length on Chromosome 17q Shortens More than Global Telomere Length in the Development of Breast Cancer. Neoplasia (New York, N.Y.), 2007, 9(4): 265-270. https://doi.org/10.1593/neo.07106
- ChaiW, Shay JW and Wright WE. Human Telomeres Maintain Their Overhang Length at Senescence. Molecular & Cellular Biology, 2005, 25(6): 2158-2168. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.25.6.2158-2168.2005
- Hiyama E and Hiyama K. Telomere and telomerase in stem cells. British Journal of Cancer, 2007, 96(7): 1020-1024. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6603671
- Guerrant RL. Evolution of Evolution: The Survival Value of Caring Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2018.
- Wikipedia, Telomere, 2020.
- Wikipedia, Sticky and Blunt Ends, 2020.
- Sandhu R and Li B. Examination of the telomere G-overhang structure in Trypanosoma brucei. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2011, 47: e1959. https://doi.org/10.3791/1959
- Berezhnoy AY and Duplij SA. Dependence of nucleotide physical properties on their placement in codons and determinative degree. Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE B, 2005, 6(10): 948-960. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.2005.B0948
- Seeman NC. An overview of structural DNA nanotechnology. Molecular biotechnology, 2007, 37(3): 246. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12033-007-0059-4
- Gledhil L. Turns out crystallized DNA is crazy pretty, 2020.
- Pokorny J, Jelinek F, Trkal V, et al. Vibrations in microtubules. Journal of Biological Physics, 1997, 23(3): 171-179. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005092601078
- Pokorn J, Jelnek F and Trkal V. Electric field around microtubules. Bioelectrochemistry and Bioenergetics, 1998, 45(2): 239-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0302-4598(98)00100-7
- Wang J, Eisenstatt JR, Audry J, et al. A Heterochromatin Domain Forms Gradually at a New Telomere and Is Dynamic at Stable Telomeres. Molecular & Cellular Biology, 2018, 38(15): MCB.00393-17. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.00393-17
- Wikipedia, Chromosome, 2020.
- Wikipedia, Ferroelectricity, 2020.
- Pitk¨anen M. Getting philosophical: some comments about the problems of physics, neuroscience, and biology. DNA Decipher Journal, 2018. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.19239.91048
- Pitk¨anen M. Philosophy of Adelic Physics, in New Trends and Advanced Methods in Interdisciplinary Mathematical Sciences Springer, 2017: 241-319. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-55612-3_11
- Pitk¨anen M. On the Correspondence of Dark Nuclear Genetic Code & Ordinary Genetic Code, Scientific GOD Journal, 2018.
- Pitk¨anen M. An Overall View about Models of Genetic Code & Biopharmony. DNA Decipher Journal, 2019.
- See-Chuan Y, Md. ZS, Vannajan SL, et al. Correlation between polar surface area and bioferroelectricity in DNA and RNA nucleobases. European Physical Journal E, 2018, 41(7): 86. https://doi.org/10.1140/epje/i2018-11696-5
- Dekker C and Ratner M. Electronic properties of DNA. Physics World, 2001, 14(8): 29. https://doi.org/10.1088/2058-7058/14/8/33
- Yamada M and Goto A. Proton conduction of DNA-imidazole composite material under anhydrous condition. Polymer journal, 2012, 44(5): 415-420, . https://doi.org/10.1038/pj.2012.5
- Lin J, Smith DL, Esteves K, et al. Telomere length measurement by qPCR-Summary of critical factors and recommendations for assay design. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2019, 99: 271-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2018.10.005
- Dai X, Huang C, Bhusari A, et al. Molecular steps of G-overhang generation at human telomeres and its function in chromosome end protection. EMBO Journal, 2010, 29(16): 2788-2801. https://doi.org/10.1038/emboj.2010.156
- Hansel R, Lohr F, Trantirek L, et al. High-resolution insight into G-overhang architecture. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2013, 135(7): 2816-2824. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja312403b
- Riha K, Mcknight TD, Fajkus J, et al. Analysis of the G-overhang structures on plant telomeres: evidence for two distinct telomere architectures. Plant Journal for Cell & Molecular Biology, 2010, 23(5): 633-641. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-313x.2000.00831.x
- Athenstaedt H. Pyroelectric and piezoelectric properties of vertebrates. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1974, 238: 68-94. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1974.tb26780.x