Main Article Content
Currently, there is a necessity for new technologies that are less harmful to the environment. Consumers have become increasingly demanding towards the quality of the processed products they consume as well as their environmental impact. Pulsed light (PL) technology is a green technology capable of maintaining food quality and safety without impairing nutritional value. PL has been used in the treatment of different food and its constituents. This mini-review aims to describe the basic principle of PL functioning as well as provide examples of the newest applications in the food industry.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Koutchma T. Pulsed light for food and beverages preservation, quality and functionality. Reference Module in Food Science, Knoerzer K. (Ed). Elsevier, 2017: 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-100596-5.22454-2
- Heinz V, Alvarez I, Angersbach A, et al. Preservation of liquid foods by high intensity pulsed electric fields - Basic concepts for process design. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 2001, 12(3-4): 103-111.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-2244(01)00064-4
- Gómez-López VM, Ragaert P, Debevere J, et al. Pulsed light for food decontamination: a review. Trends Food Science Technology, 2015, 18: 464-473.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2007.03.010
- Gómez-López VM, Devlieghere F, Bonduelle V, et al. Factors affecting the inactivation of microorganisms by intense light pulses. Journal of applied microbiology, 2005, 99: 460-470. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2005.02641.x
- Gómez-López VM. Pulsed Light Technology. Reference module in food science, Knoerzer K. (Ed). Elsevier, 2016: 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-100596-5.03304-7
- Ringus DL and Moraru CI. Pulsed light inactivation of Listeria innocua on food packaging materials of different surface roughness and reflectivity. Journal of Food Engineering, 2013, 114(3): 331-337. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2012.08.022
- Hierro E, Ganan M, Barroso E, et al. Pulsed light treatment for the inactivation of selected pathogens and the shelf-life extension of beef and tuna carpaccio. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 2012, 158(1): 42-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2012.06.018
- Haughton PN, Lyng JG, Morgan DJ, et al. Efficacy of High-Intensity Pulsed Light for the Microbiological Decontamination of Chicken, Associated Packaging, and Contact Surfaces. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, 2011, 8(1): 109-117. https://doi.org/10.1089/fpd.2010.0640
- Pedrós-Garrido S, Condón-Abanto S, Clemente I, et al. Efficacy of ultraviolet light (UV-C) and pulsed light (PL) for the microbiological decontamination of raw salmon (Salmo salar) and food contact surface materials. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 2018: 124-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2018.10.001
- Abida J, Rayees B and Masoodi FA. Pulsed light technology: a novel method for food preservation. International Food Research Journal, 2014, 21(3): 839-848.
- Cheigh CI, Hwang HJ and Chung MS. Intense pulsed light and UV-C treatments for inactivating Listeria monocytogenes on solid medium and seafoods. Food Research International, 2013, 54(1): 745-752. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2013.08.025
- Kramer B and Muranyi P. Effect of pulsed light on structural and physiological properties of Listeria innocua and Escherichia coli. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 2014, 116(3): 596-611. https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.12394
- Cacace D and Palmieri L. High-intensity pulsed light technology. Emerging Technologies for Food Processing. Academic Press, 2014: 239-258. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-411479-1.00013-9
- Moraru CI and Uesugi AR. Pulsed-light treatment principles and applications. Ultraviolet Light in Food Technology, Principles and Applications. CRC Press, 2009: 235-265. https://doi.org/10.1201/9781420059519.ch10
- Keener L and Krishnamurthy K. Shedding light on food safety: Applications of pulsed light processing. Food Safety Magazine, 2014, 20(3): 28-33.
- Dunn JE, Clark RW, Asmus JF, et al. Methods for preservation of foodstuffs. Patent: US Patent 5034235A, 1989.
- Heinrich V, Zunabovic M, Varzakas T, et al. Pulsed light treatment of different food types with a special focus on meat: a critical review. Critical Review of Food Science Nutrition, 2016, 56: 591-613. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2013.826174
- Koch F, Wiacek C and Braun PG. Pulsed light treatment for the reduction of Salmonella typhimurium and Yersinia enterocolitica on pork skin and pork loin. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 2019, 292: 64-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2018.11.014
- Maftei NA, Ramos-villarroel AY, Nicolau AI, et al. Influence of processing parameters on the pulsed-light inactivation of Penicillium expansum in apple juice. Food Control, 2014, 41: 27-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.12.023
- Aguiló-Aguayo I, Oms-Oliu G, Martín-Belloso O, et al. Impact of pulsed light treatments on quality characteristics and oxidative stability of fresh-cut avocado. Food Science Technology, 2014, 59: 320-326. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2014.04.049
- Kramer B, Wunderlich J and Muranyi P. Pulsed light decontamination of endive salad and mung bean sprouts in water. Food Control, 2017, 73: 367-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2016.08.023
- Kasahara I, Carrasco V and Aguilar L. Inactivation of Escherichia coli in goat milk using pulsed ultraviolet light. Journal of Food Engineering, 2015, 152: 43-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2014.11.012
- Muñoz A, Palgan I, Morgan DJ, et al. Combinations of high intensity pulses and thermo-sonication for the inactivation of Escherichia coli in orange juice. Food Microbiology, 2011, 28(6): 1200-1204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2011.04.005
- Hwang HJ, Cheigh CI and Chung MS. Construction of a pilot-scale continuous-flow intense pulsed light system and its efficacy in sterilizing sesame seeds. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 2017, 39: 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2016.10.017
- Xu W and Wu C. The impact of pulsed light on decontamination, quality, and bacterial attachment of fresh raspberries. Food Microbiology, 2016, 57: 135-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2016.02.009
- Karaoglan HA, Keklik NM and Isikli ND. Modeling inactivation of candida inconspicua isolated from turnip juice using pulsed UV light. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 2017, 40(2): 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpe.12418
- Avalos-Llano KR, Martín-Belloso O and Soliva-Fortuny R. Effect of pulsed light treatments on quality and antioxidant properties of fresh-cut strawberries. Food Chemistry, 2018, 264: 393-400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.05.028
- Avalos Llano KR, Marsellés Fontanet A. Robert, Martín Belloso Olga, et al. Impact of pulsed light treatments on antioxidant characteristics and quality attributes of fresh-cut apples. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 2016, 33:206-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2015.10.021
- Duarte-Molina F, Gómez PL, Castro MA, et al. Storage quality of strawberry fruit treated by pulsed light: Fungal decay, water loss and mechanical properties. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 2016, 34: 267-274 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2016.01.019
- Sousa AED, Lopes MMA, Moreira ADR, et al. Induction of postharvest resistance in melon using pulsed light as abiotic stressor. Scientia Horticulturae, 2019, 246: 921-927. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2018.11.066
- Aguiló-Aguayo I, Gangopadhyay N, Lyng JG, et al. Impact of pulsed light on colour, carotenoid, polyacetylene and sugar content of carrot slices. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 2017, 42: 49-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2017.05.006
- Pellicer JA, Navarro P and Gómez-López VM. Pulsed light inactivation of polygalacturonase. Food Chemistry, 2019, 271: 109-113 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.07.194
- Jeon MS, Park KM, Yu H, et al. Effect of intense pulsed light on the deactivation of lipase: enzyme-deactivation kinetics and tertiary structural changes by fragmentation. Enzyme and microbial technology, 2019, 124: 63-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enzmictec.2019.02.001
- Valdivia-Nájar CG, Martín-Belloso O and Soliva-Fortuny R. Impact of pulsed light treatments and storage time on the texture quality of fresh-cut tomatoes. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 2018, 45: 29-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2017.08.007