Main Article Content
The objective of this study was to show and crosscheck the seed yield and oil composition of three different seeds growing in different regions of Turkey. Extraction with n-hexane solvent indicated that there were differences in terms of oil yield between the regions. The average oil yield was 33.8% and 33.0% seed-I, 35.7% seed-II (Region-a) and 32.6% seed-III (Region-b) oil yields were obtained. The highest fatty acid content of hemp was found as: linoleic acid (average 55.24%) followed by oleic acid (average 17.20%) and α-linolenic acid (average 16.02%). Crude ash, total dry matter and crude protein analyzes were also performed. It was observed that the hemp seed oil yield was dependent on the extraction whereas extraction had no influence on the fatty acid content. Comparison of the seed oil yield with the other studies indicated that geographical region as well as the extraction method may affect the seed oil yield.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Anwar F, Latif S and Ashraf M. Analytical characterization of hemp (Cannabis sativa) seed oil from different agro-ecological zones of Pakistan. Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, 2006, 83(4): 323-329. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-006-1207-x
- European Commission, Plant variety catalogues, databases information systems, 2020.
- FAO, 2020. http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/data/QC
- Amaducci S, Scordia D, Liu F, et al. Key cultivation techniques for hemp in Europe and China. Industrial Crops and Products, 2015, 68: 2-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2014.06.041
- Baldini M, Ferfuia C, Piani B, et al. The performance and potentiality of monoecious hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) cultivars as a multipurpose crop. Agronomy, 2018, 8(9): 162. https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy8090162
- Salentijn EM, Zhang Q, Amaducci S, et al. New developments in fiber hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) breeding. Industrial crops and products, 2015, 68: 32-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2014.08.011
- Rao V, Menezes A and Viana G. Effect of myrcene on nociception in mice. Journal of pharmacy and pharmacology, 1990, 42(12): 877-878. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-7158.1990.tb07046.x
- Drini´c Z, Vidovi´c S, Vladi´c J, et al. Effect of extraction solvent on total polyphenols content and antioxidant activity of Cannabis sativa L. Lekovite sirovine, 2018, 38: 17-21. https://doi.org/10.5937/leksir1838017D
- Wang XS, Tang CH, Yang XQ, et al. Characterization, amino acid composition and in vitro digestibility of hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) proteins. Food Chemistry, 2008, 107(1): 11-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.06.064
- Haji-Moradkhani A, Rezaei R and Moghimi M. Optimization of pulsed electric field-assisted oil extraction from cannabis seeds. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 2019, 42(4): e13028. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpe.13028
- Da Porto C, Natolino A and Decorti D. Effect of ultrasound pre-treatment of hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) seed on supercritical CO2 extraction of oil. Journal of food science and technology, 2015, 52(3): 1748-1753. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-013-1143-3
- Gurr MI, Harwood JL and Frayn KN. Lipid biochemistry, Springer, 2002.
- Ba˘gcı E, Bruehl L, Aitzetmuller K, et al. A chemotaxonomic approach to the fatty acid and tocochromanol content of Cannabis sativa L.(Cannabaceae). Turkish Journal of Botany, 2003, 27(2): 141-147.
- Kriese U, Schumann E, Weber W, et al. Oil content, tocopherol composition and fatty acid patterns of the seeds of 51 Cannabis sativa L. genotypes. Euphytica, 2004, 137(3): 339-351. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:EUPH.0000040473.23941.76
- Leizer C, Ribnicky D, Poulev A, et al. The composition of hemp seed oil and its potential as an important source of nutrition. Journal of Nutraceuticals, functional & medical foods, 2000, 2(4): 35-53. https://doi.org/10.1300/J133v02n04_04
- Vosulipur M, Modares H and Mohsennia M. Determination of the amount and types of fatty acids in Hemp oil of different parts of Iran. Iranian Journal of Chemistry, 2004, 23(2): 81-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2020.112397
- Matth¨aus B and Br¨uhl L. Virgin hemp seed oil: An interesting niche product. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, 2008, 110(7): 655-661. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.200700311
- Da Porto C, Decorti D and Tubaro F. Fatty acid composition and oxidation stability of hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) seed oil extracted by supercritical carbon dioxide. Industrial Crops and Products, 2012, 36(1): 401-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2011.09.015
- Official Journal of the European Community (OJEU), L 141(3) (2009).
- Reichardt C and Welton T. Solvents and solvent effects in organic chemistry. John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- Alonso-Esteban JI, Gonz´alez-Fern´andez MJ, Fabrikov D, et al. Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) Varieties: Fatty Acid Profiles and Upgrading of -Linolenic Acid–Containing Hemp Seed Oils. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, 2020, 122(7): 1900445. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.201900445
- Kosti´c MD, Jokovi´c NM, Stamenkovi´c OS, et al. Optimization of hempseed oil extraction by nhexane. Industrial crops and products, 2013, 48: 133-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2013.04.028
- Panayiota P, Ioanna K and Ilias T. Effect of Nitrogen Fertilization on Growth and Yield of Industrial Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.). Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca, 2018, 46(1): 197- 201.. https://doi.org/10.15835/nbha46110862
- Su M, Yang R and Li M. Biodiesel production from hempseed oil using alkaline earth metal oxides supporting copper oxide as bi-functional catalysts for transesterification and selective hydrogenation. Fuel, 2013, 103: 398-407. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2012.07.009
- Callaway J. Hempseed as a nutritional resource: An overview. Euphytica, 2004, 140(1-2): 65-72. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10681-004-4811-6
- Aiello A, Pizzolongo F, Scognamiglio G, et al. Effects of supercritical and liquid carbon dioxide extraction on hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) seed oil. International Journal of Food Science & Technology, 2020, 55(6): 2472-2480. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.14498
- Sales-Campos H, Reis de Souza P, Crema Peghini B, et al. An overview of the modulatory effects of oleic acid in health and disease. Mini reviews in medicinal chemistry, 2013, 13(2): 201-210. https://doi.org/10.2174/1389557511313020003