Main Article Content
The phenomenon of climate change in recent years has led to significant changes in climatic elements and as a result the status of surface and groundwater resources, especially in arid and semi-arid regions, this issue has sometimes caused a significant decline in groundwater resources. In this paper, the effects of climate change on the status of groundwater resources in Marvdasht plain have been investigated. Water supply of different parts of this region is highly dependent on groundwater resources and therefore the study of groundwater changes in future periods is important in the development of this plain and the management of its water resources. In order to evaluate the effects of climate change, the output of atmospheric circulation models (GCM) has been used.
Then, in order to adapt the output scale of these models to the scale required by local studies of climate change, precipitation and temperature data have been downscaled by LARS-WG model. Downscaled information was used to determine the amount of feed and drainage of the aquifer in future periods. To investigate changes in groundwater levels at different stages, a neural network dynamic model has been developed in MATLAB software environment. It is also possible to study and compare other points using other scenarios and mathematical modeling. The results of the study, assuming the current state of development in the region, indicate a downward trend in the volume of the aquifer due to climate change and its effects on resources and uses of the study area. The results also introduce Scenario A2 as the most critical scenario related to climate change, which also shows the largest aquifer decline in neural network modeling.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Abdollahi S, Javadinejad S, Ostad-Ali-Askari K, et al. Investigating the Effects of Landfill in Azad- Shahr City on the Physicochemical Properties of Groundwater. American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2019, 12(2): 136-146. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajeassp.2019.136.146
- Anderson MP, Woessner WW and Hunt RJ. Applied groundwater modeling: simulation of flow and advective transport. Academic press, 2015.
- Andrade L, O’Dwyer J, O’Neill E, et al. Surface water flooding, groundwater contamination, and enteric disease in developed countries: A scoping review of connections and consequences. Environmental pollution, 2018, 236: 540-549. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2018.01.104
- Crosbie RS, Scanlon BR, Mpelasoka FS, et al. Potential climate change effects on groundwater recharge in the High Plains Aquifer, USA. Water Resources Research, 2013, 49(7): 3936-3951. https://doi.org/10.1002/wrcr.20292
- Gleeson T, Wada Y, Bierkens MF, et al. Water balance of global aquifers revealed by groundwater footprint. Nature, 2012, 488(7410): 197-200. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature11295
- Javadinejad S, Hannah D, Ostad-Ali-Askari K, et al. The impact of future climate change and human activities on hydro-climatological drought, analysis and projections: using CMIP5 climate model simulations. Water Conservation Science and Engineering, 2019, 4(2-3): 71-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41101-019-00069-2
- Javadinejad S, Dara R and Jafary F. Health impacts of extreme events. Safety in Extreme Environments, 2020, 1: 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42797-020-00016-8
- Javadinejad S, Ostad-Ali-Askari K, Singh VP, et al. Reliable, Resilient, and Sustainable Water Management in Different Water Use Sectors. Water Conservation Science and Engineering, 2019, 4(2-3): 133-148. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41101-019-00073-6
- Javadinejad S, Eslamian S, Ostad-Ali-Askari K, et al. Relationship Between Climate Change, Natural Disaster, and Resilience in Rural and Urban Societies, In: Leal Filho W. (eds) Handbook of Climate Change Resilience. Springer, Cham, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-93336-8_189
- Javadinejad S. Vulnerability of water resources to climate change and human impact: scenario analysis of the Zayandeh Rud river basin in Iran, (Doctoral dissertation, University of Birmingham), 2016.
- Javadinejad S, Dara R and Jafary F. Climate Change Scenarios and Effects on Snow-Melt Runoff. Civil Engineering Journal, 2020, 6(9): 1715-1725. https://doi.org/10.28991/cej-2020-03091577
- Javadinejad S and Jafary RDF. Effect of Precipitation Characteristics on Spatial and Temporal Variations of Landslide in Kermanshah Province in Iran. Journal of Geographical Research, 2019, 2(4): 7-14. https://doi.org/10.30564/jgr.v2i4.1818
- Javadinejad S, Dara R and Jafary F. Potential impact of climate change on temperature and humidity related human health effects during extreme condition. Safety in Extreme Environments. Springer Science and Business Media LLC, 2020, 2(2): 189-195. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42797-020-00021-x
- Javadinejad S, Dara R and Jafary F. Analysis and prioritization the effective factors on increasing farmers resilience under climate change and drought, Agricultural research, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40003-020-00516-w
- Javadinejad S, Mariwan RDMHH, Hamah A, & et al. Analysis of Gray Water Recycling by Reuse of Industrial Waste Water for Agricultural and Irrigation Purposes. Journal of Geographical Research, 2020, 3(2): 20-24. https://doi.org/10.30564/jgr.v3i2.2056
- Javadinejad S, Dara R and Jafary F. Impacts of Extreme Events on Water Availability. Annals of Geographical Studies, 2019, 2(3): 16-24.
- Javadinejad S, Dara R and Jafary F. Gray Water Measurement and Feasibility of Retrieval Using Innova-tive Technology and Application in Water Resources Management in Isfahan-Iran. Journal of Geographical Research, 2020, 3(2): 11-19. https://doi.org/10.30564/jgr.v3i2.1997
- Javadinejad S, Eslamian S and Ostad-Ali-Askari K. Investigation of monthly and seasonal changes of methane gas with respect to climate change using satellite data. Applied Water Science, 2019, 9(8): 180. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13201-019-1067-9
- Javadinejad S, Ostad-Ali-Askari K and Eslamian S. Application of Multi-Index Decision Analysis to Management Scenarios Considering Climate Change Prediction in the Zayandeh Rud River Basin. Water Conservation Science and Engineering, 2019, 4(1): 53-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41101-019-00068-3
- Javadinejad S, Dara R and Jafary F. Taking Urgent Actions to Combat Climate Change Impacts. Annals of Geographical Studies, 2019, 2(4): 1-13.
- Javadinejad S, Eslamian S, Ostad-Ali-Askari K, et al. Embankments. In: Bobrowsky P., Marker B. (eds) Encyclopedia of Engineering Geology. Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series. Springer, Cham, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-12127-7 105-1
- Javadinejad S, Ostad-Ali-Askari K and Jafary F. Using simulation model to determine the regulation and to optimize the quantity of chlorine injection in water distribution networks. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment, 2019, 5(3): 1015-1023. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40808-019-00587-x
- Javadinejad S, Eslamian S, Ostad-Ali-Askari K. The Analysis of the Most Important Climatic Parameters Affecting Performance of Crop Variability in a Changing Climate. International journal of hydrology science and technology, 2018.
- Javadinejad S. The 2008 Morpeth Flood: Continuous Simulation Model for the Wansbeck Catchment. Ebook, Grin publication, 2011.
- Mirramazani SM, Javadinejad S, Eslamian S, et al. The Origin of River Sediments, the Associated Dust and Climate Change. Journal of Flood Risk Management, 2017, 8(2): 149-172.
- Mirramazani SM, Javadinejad S, Eslamian S, et al. A Feasibility Study of Urban Green Space Design in the Form of Smart Arid Landscaping with Rainwater Harvesting. American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2019.
- Javadinejad S, Dara R and Jafary F. Analysis and prioritization the effective factors on increasing farmers resilience under climate change and drought. Agricultural research, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40003-020-00516-w
- Javadinejad S, Dara R and Jafary F. Modelling groundwater level fluctuation in an Indian coastal aquifer. Water SA, 2020, 46(4): 665-671. https://doi.org/10.17159/wsa/2020.v46.i4.9081
- Javadinejad S, Dara R and Jafary F. Investigation of the effect of climate change on heat waves. Resources Environment and Information Engineering, 2020, 2(1): 54-60. https://doi.org/10.25082/REIE.2020.01.001
- Javadinejad S, Dara R and Jafary F. Examining the association between dust and sediment and evaluating the impact of climate change on dust and providing adaptation. Resources Environment and Information Engineering, 2020, 2(1): 61-70. https://doi.org/10.25082/REIE.2020.01.002
- Javadinejad S, Dara R, Jafary F, et al. Climate change management strategies to handle and cope with extreme weather and climate events. Journal of Geographical Research, 2020, 3(4): 22-28. https://doi.org/10.30564/jgr.v3i4.2324
- Joseph J, Ghosh S, Pathak A, et al. Hydrologic impacts of climate change: Comparisons between hydrological parameter uncertainty and climate model uncertainty. Journal of Hydrology, 2018, 566: 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.08.080
- Kløve B, Ala-Aho P, Bertrand G, et al. Climate change impacts on groundwater and dependent ecosystems. Journal of Hydrology, 2014, 518: 250-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2013.06.037
- Lipczynska-Kochany E. Effect of climate change on humic substances and associated impacts on the quality of surface water and groundwater: A review. Science of the total environment, 2018, 640: 1548-1565. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.05.376
- Mejia JF, Huntington J, Hatchett B, et al. Linking global climate models to an integrated hydrologic model: using an individual station downscaling approach. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 2012, 147(1): 17-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1936-704X.2012.03100.x
- Mohanty S, Jha MK, Raul SK, et al. Using artificial neural network approach for simultaneous forecasting of weekly groundwater levels at multiple sites. Water Resources Management, 2015, 29(15): 5521-5532. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-015-1132-6
- Nourani V, Alami MT and Vousoughi FD. Wavelet-entropy data pre-processing approach for ANNbased groundwater level modeling. Journal of Hydrology, 2015, 524: 255-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.02.048
- Ouhamdouch S, Bahir M, Ouazar D, et al. Evaluation of climate change impact on groundwater from semi-arid environment (Essaouira Basin, Morocco) using integrated approaches. Environmental Earth Sciences, 2019, 78(15): 449. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-019-8470-2
- Salem GSA, Kazama S, Shahid S, et al. Impacts of climate change on groundwater level and irrigation cost in a groundwater dependent irrigated region. Agricultural Water Management, 2018, 208: 33-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2018.06.011
- Schramm E and Sattary E. Scenarios for Closed Basin Water Management in the Zayandeh Rud Catchment Area. Institut f¨ur sozial-¨okologische Forschung ISOE GmbH, 2014.
- Seifert D, Sonnenborg TO, Refsgaard JC, et al. Assessment of hydrological model predictive ability given multiple conceptual geological models. Water Resources Research, 2012, 48(6): 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1029/2011WR011149
- Susilo GE, Yamamoto K and Imai T. Modeling groundwater level fluctuation in the tropical peatland areas under the effect of El Nino. Procedia Environmental Sciences, 2013, 17: 119-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2013.02.019
- Varouchakis EA and Hristopulos DT. Comparison of stochastic and deterministic methods for mapping groundwater level spatial variability in sparsely monitored basins. Environmental monitoring and assessment, 2013, 185(1): 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-012-2527-y
- Zhang X, Liu P, Cheng L, et al. A back-fitting algorithm to improve real-time flood forecasting. Journal of Hydrology, 2018, 562: 140-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.04.051