Etiology of breast development and asymmetry
Main Article Content
Etiology of breast development and asymmetry is a fascinating research topic physiologically as well as pathophysiology from a certain condition. The shape, contour, and size of the breast are unique to each female. These factors are influenced by genetics, weight, exercise, menstruation cycles, pregnancy, menopause status, and age. An attempt was made to research the breast development at fetal development and transitioning into adulthood and menopause. Additionally, we compare breast development in males to the developments in females. Although breast asymmetry is experienced by all women, it ranges from grossly undetectable to the need for surgical intervention. It is thought that breast asymmetry has intrinsic and extrinsic factors that determine the type and the extent of asymmetry observed. Hormones at play and their effect on breast asymmetry throughout breast development has been charted. Breast asymmetry is most often secondary to benign breast disorders and unassociated with a risk for malignancy. As the perception of one’s body image is an integral part of self-confidence, breast asymmetry has the potential to affect every woman’s quality of life, regardless of the degree of asymmetry. Throughout this effort, our aim was to analyze and understand breast development in males and females, breast changes from the prepubertal to post-menopausal period, benign pathological changes, summarizing the etiologies of breast asymmetry, and their effects on quality of life.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Lteif A and Javed A. Development of the Human+E5:E41 Breast. Seminars in Plastic Surgery, 2013, 27(1): 5-12. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0033-1343989
- Robinson G, Karpf A and Kratochwil K. Regulation of Mammary Gland Development by Tissue Interaction 1. Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia, 1999, 4(1): 9-19. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018748418447
- Khaja A and DeSilva N. The female adolescent breast: disorders of development. Current Opinion in Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2019, 31(5):293-297. https://doi.org/10.1097/GCO.0000000000000564
- Super Numerary Nipples, 2020. Accessed September 1, 2021. https://www.rrnursingschool.biz
- Jolicoeur F. Intrauterine Breast Development and the Mammary Myoepithelial Lineage. Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia, 2005, 10(3): 199-210. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10911-005-9581-9
- Moore KL, Persaud TVN and Torchia MG. The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology. Saunders Elsevier, 2013.
- Moore KL and Persaud TVN. The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology. Ishiyaku, 1997: 448-450. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0161-4754(03)00102-7
- Anbazhagan R, Bartek J, Monaghan P, et al. Growth Development of the Human Infant Breast. The Journal of Anatomy, 1991, 192: 407-417. https://doi.org/10.1002/aja.1001920408
- Young B, O'Dowd G and Woodford P. Epithelial Tissues. Wheatear's functional histology: A text and colour atlas. Churchill Livingstone, 2014, 82-100.
- Restrepo R, Cervantes L, Swirsky M, et al. Breast Development in pediatric patients from birth to puberty: physiology, pathology and imaging correlation. Pediatric Radiology, 2021, 51: 1959-1969. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-021-05099-4
- Costanzo L. Physiology. 6th Edition. Elseiver, 2018, 463-466.
- Hall JE. Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology. 13th ed. Elsevier, 2016, 1044-1052.
- Caldwell S. Hypothalamus Pituitary Ovarian Axis, 2019. Accessed September 1, 2021. https://www.drsusancaldwell.com
- Howard BA. Human Breast Development. Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia. 2000, 5(2): 119-137. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026487120779
- Russo J and Russo IH. Development of the human breast. Maturitas, 2004, 49(1): 2-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2004.04.011
- Wiseman BS. Stromal Effects on Mammary Gland Development and Breast Cancer. Science, 2002, 296(5570): 1046-1049. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1067431
- Alex A, Bhandary E and McGuire KP. Anatomy and Physiology of the Breast during Pregnancy and Lactation. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, 2020, 1252: 3-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-41596-9_1
- Truchet S and Honvo-Houéto E. Physiology of milk secretion. Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2017, 31(4): 367-384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beem.2017.10.008
- Hutson SW, Cowen PN and Bird CC. Morphometric studies of age related changes in normal human breast and their significance for evolution of mammary cancer. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 1985, 38(3): 281-287. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.38.3.281
- Walker R and Martin C. The aged breast. The Journal of Pathology, 2007, 211(2): 232-240. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.2079
- Sickles EA. The Spectrum of Breast Asymmetries: Imaging Features, Work-Up, Management. Radiologic Clinics of North America, 2007, 45(5): 765-771. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcl.2007.06.002
- Manning JT, Scutt D, Whitehouse GH, et al. Breast asymmetry and phenotypic quality in women. Evolution and Human Behavior, 1997, 18(4): 223-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0162-3095(97)00002-0
- Manning J, Scutt D, Whitehouse G, et al. Asymmetry and the Menstrual Cycle in Women. Evolution and Human Behavior, 1996, 17: 129-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/0162-3095(96)00001-5
- Applebaum A, Nessim A and Cho W. Understanding breast asymmetry and its relation to AIS. Spine Deform, 2020, 8: 381-386. https://doi.org/10.1007/s43390-020-00056-x
- Shahid N and Gurtunca N. Common Breast Complaints
- [Gynecomastia, Breast Asymmetry, Galactorrhea]. Endocrine Conditions in Pediatrics, 2021, 77-83. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-52215-5_13
- Alipour S. Physical breast Examination in Pregnancy and Lactation. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, 2020, 1252. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-41596-9_2
- Malherbe K, Khan M and Fatima. Fibrocystic Breast Changes. StatPearls, 2022. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK551609
- Ramakrishnan R, Khan S, Badve S, et al. Morphological Changes in Breast Tissue with Menstrual Cycle. Mod Pathology, 2002, 15(12): 1348-1356. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.MP.0000039566.20817.46
- Chen J, Chan S, Yeh D, et al. Response of bilateral breast to the endogenous hormonal fluctuation in menstrual cycle evaluated using 3D MRI. Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 2013, 31(4): 538-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mri.2012.10.022
- Le T, Bhushan V and Sochat M. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1., New York. McGraw-Hill Education, 2021, 656.
- Mufudza C, Sorofa W and Chiyaka E. Assessing the Effects of Estrogen on the Dynamics of Breast Cancer. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, 2012, 2012: 473572. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/473572
- Kumar V, Abbas AK, Aster JC, et al. Robbins Basic Pathology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Elsevier, 2018.
- Solanki M and Visscher D. Pathology of breast cancer in the last half century. Human Pathology, 2020, 95: 137-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2019.09.007
- Martinovic M and Blanchet N. BFACE: A Framework for Evaluating Breast Aesthetics. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2017, 40(2): 287-295. https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000003530
- Stachs A, Stubert J, Reimer T, et al. Benign breast disease in women. Deutsches Aerzteblatt Online. Published online August 19, 2019. https://doi.org/10.3238/arztebl.2019.0565
- Sansone A, Romanelli F, Sansone M, et al. Gynecomastia and hormones. Endocrine, 2016, 55(1): 37-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-016-0975-9
- Swerdloff R. Gynecomastia: Etiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Endotext, 2019. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279105
- Nuzzi LC, Cerrato FE, Webb ML, et al. Reply: Psychological Impact of Breast Asymmetry on Adolescents: A Prospective Cohort. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2015, 136(1): 109-110. https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000001342
- Neto M, Alba L, Lemos A, et al. The Impact of Surgical Treatment on the Self-Esteem of Patients with Breast Hypertrophy, Hypomastia, or Breast Asymmetry. Asthetic Plastic Surgery, 2012, 36: 223-225. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00266-011-9785-x
- De Silva NK. Breast development and disorders in the adolescent female. Best Practice & Research Clinical Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 2018, 48: 40-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2017.08.009