Main Article Content
An EPR study of paramagnetic centers formed by irradiation of polycrystalline L-α-anhydrous asparagine (L-Asn) was performed. The EPR spectra of gamma irradiated samples at room temperature, shown the presence of three types of paramagnetic centers. A possible mechanisms of formation for the three radical species is suggested, based also on literature data. The kinetics of the disappearance of radicals during thermal annealing indicated a complex mechanism.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Lund P. Nitrogen Metabolism in Mammalian, Applied Science, Barking, 1981.
- Robinson EN and Robinson BA. Deamidation of human proteins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2001, 98(22): 12409-12414.https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.221463198
- Hipkiss AR. On the “struggle between chemistry and biology during aging”-implications for DNA repair, apoptosis and proteolysis, and a novel route of intervention. Biogerontology, 2001, 2(3): 173-178.https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011599321168
- Bambai B, Rogee CE, Stec B, et al. Role of Asn-382 and Thr-383 in activation and inactivation of human prostaglandin H synthase cyclooxygenase catalysis. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2003, 279: 4084-4092.https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M304762200
- Vijayakumar M, Qian H and Zhou HX. Hydrogen bonds between short polar side chains and peptides backbone: prevalence in proteins and effects on helix-forming propensities. Proteins, 1999, 34: 497-507.https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0134(19990301)34:4<497::AID-PROT9>3.0.CO;2-G
- Cooper HJ, Hudgins RR, Hakanson K, et al. Characterization of amino acid side chain losses in electron capture dissociation. Journal of The American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 2002, 13: 241-249.https://doi.org/10.1016/S1044-0305(01)00357-9
- Zhang P, Han S, Zhan Y, et al. Neutron spectroscopic and Raman studies of interaction between water and proline. Journal of Chemical Physics, 2008, 345: 196-199.
- Box HC, Freund GH, Lilga TK, et al. Hyperfine couplings in primary radiation products. Journal of Chemical Physics, 1975, 63: 2059-2063.https://doi.org/10.1063/1.431543
- Strzelczak G, Berges J, Housee-Levin C, et al. EPR spectroscopy and theoretical study of γ-irradiated asparagine and aspartic acid in solid state. Biophysical Chemistry, 2007, 125: 92-103.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpc.2006.06.017
- Contineanu M. Thermal decay kinetics of the radicals generated during the radiolysis of polyacrylamide (PAA) hydrolized to different extents. Revue Roumaine de Chimie, 1996, 41(9): 703-711.
- Contineanu M and Neacşu A. Radical species formed by gamma radiolysis of polycrystalline telluric acid. Revue Roumaine de Chimie, 2006, 51(11):1069-1078.
- Contineanu M and Neacşu A. PbCrO4 radiolysis impurified with CrO3. Revista de Chimie (Bucharest), 2006, 57(7): 706-710.
- Tria JJ, HoelD and Johnsen HR. The kinetics of radical decay in crystalline amino acids. 7. Monohydrates. Journal of Physical Chemistry, 1979, 83(24): 3174-3179.https://doi.org/10.1021/j100487a022
- Waite RT. Theoretical Treatment of the Kinetics of Diffusion-Limited Reactions. Physical Review, 1957, 107(2): 463-475.https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRev.107.463
- Yung Y and Lee S. Equivalence of the radical recombination rate theories of Waite and Szabo. Chemical Physics Letters, 1994, 231: 429-438.https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2614(94)01282-2
- Zubavichus Y, Fuchs O, Weinhardt L, et al. Denlinger J D, Grunze M, Soft X-Ray-Induced Decomposition of Amino Acids: An XPS, Mass Spectrometry, and NEXAFS Study. Radiation Research, 2004, 161(3): 346-358.https://doi.org/10.1667/RR3114.1
- Close MD, Fouse WG and Bernhard AW. ESR and ENDOR study of single crystals of L-asparagine-H2O x-irradiated at room temperature. The Journal of Chemical Physics, 1977, 66(4): 1534-1540.https://doi.org/10.1063/1.434117