Main Article Content
The objective of this study is to contribute with empirical evidence to the understanding of the determinants of export upgrading measured through two alternative indicators (export complexity level and degree of export diversification) using a cross-country panel dataset over the 1999–2013 period. For this purpose, a panel cointegration framework and two homogenous subpanels have been considered based on the income level of the sample countries (upper-middle and high income groups, low and lower-middle income groups). Based on the Dynamic OLS (DOLS) and Fully Modified OLS (FMOLS) technique, the results indicate that export upgrading of countries is enhanced by GDP per capita , knowledge creation ( this variable is differentiated into internal knowledge( i.e humain capital and research & development) and external knowledge (i.e Foreign Direct Investment and imports) and Institutional quality. The effects of these determinants vary between low, lower-middle income, upper-middle and high income country.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Deardorff AV. Fragmentation in Simple Trade Models. Discussion Paper, 1998: 422. http://www.spp.umich.edu/rsie/workingpapers/wp.html
- Jones RW and Kierzkowski. Globalization and the Consequences of International Fragmentation. Manuscript. University of Rochester and Graduate Institute of International Studies, Geneva. 1997.
- Helg R and Tajoli L. Patterns of international fragmentation of production and the relative demand for labor. North American Journal of Economics and Finance, 2005, 16: 233-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.najef.2005.02.002
- Pavlinek P and Zenka J. Upgrading in the automotive industry: firm-level evidence from Central Europe. Journal of Economic Geography, 2011, 11(4): 559-586. https://doi.org/10.1093/jeg/lbq023
- Kaplinksy R. Spreading the gains from globalization: what can be learned from value chain analysis? Problems of Economic Transition, 2004, 47: 74-115.
- Humphrey J and Schmitz H. How Does Insertion in Global Value Chains Affect Upgrading in Industrial Clusters? Regional Studies , 2002, 9: 1017-1027. https://doi.org/10.1080/0034340022000022198
- Porter M. The Competitive Advantage of Nations Contract. Report on the value chain of the telecommunications equipment sector Proprietary and confidential property, 2007.
- Gereffi G. The global economy: Organization, governance and development. 2005, 160-182 in Neil J. Smelser and Richard Swedberg (eds.), Handbook of Economic Sociology, 2nd ed. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press and Russell Sage Foundation. https://doi.org/10.1515/9781400835584.160
- Kaplinsky R, Morris M and Readman J. The globalization of product markets and immiserizing growth: lessons from the South African Furniture Industry. World Development, 2002, 30: 1159- 1178. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-750X(02)00029-3
- Hausmann R, Hwang J and Rodrik D. What you export matters. Journal of Economic Growth, 2007, 12( 1): 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10887-006-9009-4
- Minondo A. Exports quality-adjusted productivity and economic growth. Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, 2010, 19( 2): 257-287. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638190802573071
- Lall S. The technological structure and performance of developing country manufactured exports, 1985-98. Oxford Development Studies, 2010, 28(3): 337- 369. https://doi.org/10.1080/713688318
- Jarreau J and Poncet S. Export sophistication and economic growth: Evidence from China. Journal of Development Economics, 2012, 97: 281-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2011.04.001
- Agosin1 MR, Alvarez R and Bravo-Ortega C. Determinants of Export Diversification Around the World: 1962-2000. The World Economy, 2012, 35(3): 295-315. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9701.2011.01395.x
- Fu XL and Zhu SJ. Drivers of Export Upgrading. World Development, 2013, 51: 221-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2013.05.017
- Makhlouf Y, Kellard NM and Vinogradov D. Trade openness, export diversification, and political regimes. Economics Letters, 2015, 136: 25-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2015.08.031
- Amighini A and Sanfilippo M. Impact of South-South FDI and Trade on the Export Upgrading of African Economies. World Development, 2014, 64: 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2014.05.021
- Sandu S and Ciocanel B. Impact of R& D and Innovation on high-tech export. Procedia Economics and Finance, 2014, 15: 80-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(14)00450-X
- Sharma K. Factors determining India’s export performance. Journal of Asian Economics, 2003, 4: 435-446. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1049-0078(03)00036-8
- Karag¨oz K. Determining Factors of Turkey’s Export Performance: An Empirical Analysis, Procedia Economics and Finance, 2016, 38: 446-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)30216-7
- Yi I, Wang CQ and Kafouros M. The effects of innovative capabilities on exporting: Do institutional forces matter? International Business Review, 2013, 22: 392-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2012.05.006
- Fu XL and Gong YD. Indigenous and Foreign Innovation Efforts and Drivers of Technological Upgrading: Evidence from China. World Development 2011, 39(7): 1213-1225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2010.05.010
- Sargent O and Matthews L. The drivers of evolution/upgrading in Mexico’s maquiladoras: How important is subsidiary initiative? Journal of World Business, 2006, 41: 233-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2006.06.001
- Zhao Q and Niu MY. Influence analysis of FDI on China’s industrial structure optimization, Procedia Computer Science, 2013, 17: 1015 1022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2013.05.129
- Kementy T. Does Foreign Direct Investment Drive Technological Upgrading? World Development, 2010, 38(11): 1543-1554. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2010.03.001