A quantitative approach to risk-driven strategy formulation: A case study introducing a real-options framework
Main Article Content
The thesis of this article advocates that a quantitative and analytical approach to the business value vs. risk relationship can effectively support company strategy formulation processes dealing with uncertain business scenarios. Within the grounded theory methodology, a suitable case study was selected among SMEs, and a real-options (RO) framework was applied to address the research question. This inductive-empirical methodology shows that the RO framework, in conjunction with the Montecarlo method, is a valuable tool capable of supporting the best strategy formulation by purposefully connecting risk with business value. Furthermore, it has been demonstrated that the RO framework can maximize business value in markets characterized by deep fundamental uncertainty. This article is of interest to both scholars and practitioners. Strategic thinking research can benefit from the conclusions of this paper by conceptually reinforcing strategy formulation theories based on organizational resource-investment choices exploited through the RO lens. Practitioners can verify the strengths of the RO framework in practice. Moreover, they can adopt the combined use of the RO framework and the Montecarlo method as a leading factor for strategy-setting processes and a trigger for shaping strategic risk management practices within their reference industry.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Ipsmiller E, Brouthers KD and Dikova D. 25 years of real option empirical research in management. European Management Review, 2019, 16: 55-68. https://doi.org/10.1111/emre.12324
- Ipsmiller E, Brouthers KD, and Dikova, D. Which export channels provide real options to SMEs?, Journal of World Business, 2021, 56(6): 101245. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2021.101245
- Wang J and Yang CY. Flexibility planning for managing R&D projects under risk. International Journal of Production Economics, 2012, 135(2): 823-831. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2011.10.020
- Chi T and Li J Trigeorgis LG and Tsekrekos AE. Real options theory in international business. Journal of International Business Studies, 2019, 50: 525-553. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41267-019-00222-y
- Kaartinen J. A Review of the Valuation Methods for Real Options, thesis, Aalto University School of Business Accounting, viewed Oct 19, 2022, Aalto University database.
- Sanchez R. Strategic Flexibility, Firm Organization, and Managerial work in Dynamic Markets: A Strategic-options Perspective. Advances in Strategic Management, 1993, 9: 251-291.
- Bowman EH and Hurry D. Strategy through the option lens: an integrated view of resource investments and the incremental-choice process. Academy of Management Review, 1993, 18(4): 760-782. https://doi.org/10.2307/258597
- Dixit A. Investment and hysteresis. Journal of Economic Perspective, 1992, 6(1): 107-132. https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.6.1.107
- Tan JJ. Interfaces for enterprise valuation from a real options lens. Briefings in Entrepreneurial Finance, 2018, 27(1): 69-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsc.2181
- Lee SH and Makhija M. Flexibility in internationalization: Is it valuable during an economic crisis? Strategic Management Journal, 2009, 30: 537-555. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.742
- Lee SH and Makhija M. The effect of domestic uncertainty on the real options value of international investments. Journal of International Business Studies, 2009, 40: 405-420. https://doi.org/10.1057/jibs.2008.79
- Yang Y, Narayanan VK and De Carolis DM. The relationship between portfolio diversification and firm value: The evidence from corporate venture capital activity. Strategic Management Journal, 2014, 35: 1993-2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2190
- Kumar S. The value from acquiring and divesting a joint venture: A real options approach. Strategic Management Journal, 2005, 26: 321-331. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.449
- Hawk A, Pacheco-de-Almeida G and Yeung B. Fast-mover advantages: Speed capabilities and entry into the emerging submarket of Atlantic Basin LNG. Strategic Management Journal, 2013, 34: 1531-1550. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2085
- Klingebiel R and Adner R. Real options logic revisited: The performance effects of the alternative resource allocation regimes. Academy of Management Journal, 2015, 58: 221-241. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2012.0703
- Harikae S, Dyer JS and Wang T. Valuing Real Options in the Volatile Real World. Production and Operations Management, 2021, 30: 171-189. https://doi.org/10.1111/poms.13261
- Raffiee J and Feng J. Should I quit my day job? A hybrid path to entrepreneurship. Academy of Management Journal, 2014, 57: 936-963. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2012.0522
- Luehrman TA. Strategy as a Portfolio of Real-options. Managing in the New Economy. Harvard Business Review, 1998, 5: 91-111.
- Bowman EH. A risk/return paradox for strategic management. Sloan Management Review, 1980, 21(3): 17-31.
- Husted BW. Risk Management, Real-options, Corporate Social Responsibility. Journal of Business Ethics, 2005, 60: 175-183. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-005-3777-1
- Hambrick DC. Environmental scanning and organizational strategy. Strategic Management Journal, 1982, 3(2): 159-174. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250030207
- Schoemaker PJH. Scenario Planning: a tool for strategic thinking. Sloan Management Review, 1995, 36(2): 25-40.
- Stulz RM. Risk Management failures: what are they and when do they happen? Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, 2008, 20(4): 39-49. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6622.2008.00202.x
- Trigeorgis L and Reuer JJ. Real-options theory in strategic management. Strategic Management Journal, 2016, 38: 42-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2593
- Teece D, Peteraf M and Leih S. Dynamic capabilities and organizational agility: Risk, uncertainty, and strategy in the innovation economy. California Management Review, 2016, 58(4): 13-35. https://doi.org/10.1525/cmr.2016.58.4.13
- Bettanti A and Lanati A. ERM, Enterprise Risk Management - Nuovi orizzonti per la creazione di valore in azienda. MCGraw Hill Education, Milan, 2019.
- Fayol H. Administration industriale et générale. H. Dunod et E. Pinat, Paris, 1917.
- Kloman FH. A brief history of risk management. In: Enterprise Risk Management: Today's Leading Research and Best Practices for Tomorrow's Executives, Fraser J, Simkins B (ed), Wiley, New York, 2010, pp. 9-29. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118267080.ch2
- Knight FH. Risk, uncertainty, and profit. The Riverside Press, Boston and New York, 1921.
- Mehr R and Hedges B. Risk management in the business enterprise. Homewood, Irwin,1963.
- Bromiley P, McShane M, Nair A, et al. Enterprise Risk Management: Review, Critique, and Research Directions. Long Range Planning, 2015, 48(4): 265-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2014.07.005
- Fraser JRS and Simkins BJ. The challenges of and solutions for implementing enterprise risk management. Business Horizons, Elsevier, 2016, 59(6): 689-698. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2016.06.007
- Kawamoto B. Issues in Enterprise Risk Management: From Theory to Application. Proceedings of the Casualty Actuarial Society Spring Meeting, 2001.
- Kloman FH. Rethinking Risk Management The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance. Issues and Practice. Risk Management Studies, 1992, 17(64): 299-313. https://doi.org/10.1057/gpp.1992.19
- International Organisation for Standardisation, Risk Management - Guidelines, ISO 31000: 2018.
- COSO - Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission. Enterprise risk management - Applying enterprise risk management to environmental, social, and governance-related risks, 2018.
- Scott E. Did Enterprise Risk Management Really Work? The Case of Lincoln Financial Corporation. Proceedings of the Enterprise Risk Management Symposium, Society of Actuaries, April 12-15, 2010.
- Beasley MS, Branson BC and Hancock BV. ERM: Opportunities for Improvement -Take your risk management system to the next level. Journal of Accountancy, 2009, 208(3): 28-32.
- Myers SC. Determinants of corporate borrowing. Journal of Financial Economics, 1977, 5: 147-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(77)90015-0
- McGrath RG. Falling Forward: Real-options Reasoning and Entrepreneurial Failure. The Academy of Management Review, 1999, 24: 13-30. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1999.1580438
- Miller DK and Waller HG. Scenarios, Real-options and Integrated Risk Management. Long Range Planning, 2003, 36(1): 93-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-6301(02)00205-4
- Triantis A. Realizing the Potential of Real-options: Does Theory Meet Practice? Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, 2005, 17: 8-16. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6622.2005.00028.x
- Driouchi T and Bennett D. Real-options in multinational decision-making: Managerial awareness and risk implications. Journal of World Business. 2011, 46(2): 205-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2010.05.007
- Barney J. Firm resources and sustainable competitive advantages. Journal of Management, 1991, 17(1): 155-171. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108
- Dierickx I and Cool K. Asset stock accumulation and sustainability of competitive advantage. Management Science, 1989, 35(12): 504-151. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.12.1504
- Whitten SM, Hertzler G and Strunz S. How real-options and ecological resilience thinking can assist in environmental risk management. Journal of Risk Research, 2012, 15(3): 331-346. https://doi.org/10.1080/13669877.2011.634525
- Trigeorgis LA and Tsekrekos E. Real options in operations research: A review. European Journal of Operational Research, 2018, 270: 1-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2017.11.055
- Baldwin CY, Mason SP and Ruback RS. Evaluation of government subsidies to large scale energy projects: A contingent claims approach (Working Paper v83, 66). Boston: Harvard Business School, 1983.
- Kazlauskienė V and Christauskas C. A business valuation model based on the analysis of business value drivers. Engineering Economics, 2008, 2(57): 23-31.
- COSO - Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission.Enterprise risk management - Integrated Framework, 2004.
- Curtis P and Carey M. 2012, Risk Assessment in Practice, Research Commissioned by COSO. Viewed Mar 14, 2021. https://www.coso.org
- Moel A and Tufano P. When Are Real-options Exercised? An Empirical Study of Mine Closings. The Review of Financial Studies, 2002, 15(1): 35-64. https://doi.org/10.1093/rfs/15.1.35
- Slagmulder R and Devoldere B. Transforming under deep uncertainty: A strategic perspective on risk management. Business Horizons Elsevier, 2018, 61(5): 733-743. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2018.05.001
- Reuer JJ and Tong TW. How do real options matter? Empirical research on strategic investments and firm performance. Advances in Strategic Management, 2007, 24: 145-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0742-3322(07)24005-7
- Driouchi T and Bennett DJ. Real options in management and organizational strategy: A review of decision-making and performance implications. International Journal of Management Reviews, 2012, 14: 39-62. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2370.2011.00304.x
- Druker PF. Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Harper Collins, New York, 2009.
- Oliver C. Critical Realist Grounded Theory: A New Approach for Social Work Research. The British Journal of Social Work, 2012, 42(2): 371-387. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjsw/bcr064
- Pulla V. Grounded Theory Approach in Social Research. Space and Culture, India, 2014, 2(3): 14-23. https://doi.org/10.20896/saci.v2i3.93
- Trigeorgis, L. Real Options: Managerial Flexibility and Strategy in Resource Allocation. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1996.
- Helfert E. Financial Analysis Tools and Techniques - A Guide for Managers. McGraw-Hill, 10th ed., New York, 2001.