Recent advances in internal control: Soft control overcoming the limits of hard control
Main Article Content
Uncertainties and risks continue to pose a threat to governance and internal control, impeding public sector modernization and essential service delivery. Attempts to develop alternative strategies to meet desired results in highly bureaucratic institutional environments such as the public sector are intensifying because ideas and principles matter. This study advances informal "soft control" as a substitute for formal "hard control" in four dimensions: (a) creates a clear difference between "soft" and "hard" control; (b) designs key determinants of informal "soft" control; (c) limitations of formal "hard" control; and (d) a conceptual framework and hypotheses to support future empirical research and “operationalization” of the proposed constructs. Critical observations imply that the increasing cases of corporate malpractice and consequential non-alignments with best practises in recent times are sufficient evidence to suggest that formal control is incapable of mitigating financial crimes, irregularities, and preventing complex accounting scandals classified as white-collar fraud. The causes of these control failures are attributed to overreliance on "hard control" which primarily works with sanctions and the neglect of informal control mechanisms "soft controls". This condition has limited the ability of auditors to uncover systematic failures of controls that are process-specific, resulting in a partial and incomplete evaluation of internal controls. The study assumed a theoretical approach due to the lack of existing empirical research on “soft control”. However, this observations form a solid theoretical foundation for further discussions. We argue that "tone at the top," informal social control, organisational culture, ethical values, empowerment, and employee competence are effective substitutes for and complements to formal "hard" controls in preventing another Enron.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Gramling A and Schneider A. Effects of reporting relationship and type of internal control deficiency on internal auditors' internal control evaluations. Managerial Auditing Journal, 2018, 33(3): 318-335. https://doi.org/10.1108/MAJ-07-2017-1606
- Haelterman H. Hard, soft or situational controls? Bridging the gap between security, compliance and internal control. Security Journal, 2020, 33(4): 636-656. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41284-019-00208-3
- Kuang YF, Lee G and Qin B. Whistleblowing allegations, audit fees, and internal control deficiencies. Contemporary Accounting Research, 2021, 38(1): 32-62. https://doi.org/10.1111/1911-3846.12619
- Ferry L. Managing Organisational Culture For Effective Internal Control: From Practice To Theory. Springer Physica-Verlag: Berlin, 2009 Pfister, JA. The British Accounting Review, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2011.03.003
- Lartey PY, Kong Y, Bah FBM, et al. Determinants of internal control compliance in public organizations; using preventive, detective, corrective and directive controls. International Journal of Public Administration, 2020, 43(8): 711-723. https://doi.org/10.1080/01900692.2019.1645689
- Moeller RR. Executive's guide to Coso internal controls: understanding and implementing the new framework. John Wiley & Sons, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118691656
- Dickins, D. and R.G. Fay, COSO 2013: Aligning internal controls and principles. Issues in Accounting Education, 2017, 32(3): 117-127. https://doi.org/10.2308/iace-51585
- Pfister JA. Managing organizational culture for effective internal control: From practice to theory. Springer Science & Business Media, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-7908-2340-0
- Commission, C.o.S.O.o.t.T. COSO Internal control-integrated framework: Guidance on monitoring internal control systems, Volume III: Examples, 2009.
- Leatherwood ML and Spector LC. Enforcements, inducements, expected utility and employee misconduct. Journal of Management, 1991, 17(3): 553-569. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700302
- Ouchi WG. The relationship between organizational structure and organizational control. Administrative science quarterly, 1977: 95-113. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391748
- Beasley MS, Hermanson DR, Carcello JV, et al. Fraudulent financial reporting: 1998-2007: An analysis of US public companies, 2010.
- Jensen MC. The modern industrial revolution, exit, and the failure of internal control systems. Journal of Finance, 1993, 48(3): 831-880. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1993.tb04022.x
- Commission, C.o.S.O.o.t.T. Internal control, integrated framework: Executive summary. Vol. 4. 1992. Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission.
- Brickey KF. From Enron to WorldCom and beyond: Life and crime after Sarbanes-Oxley. Wash. ULQ, 2003, 81: 357. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.447100
- Cuadrado-Ballesteros B, Santis S and Bisogno M. Public-sector financial management and E-government: The role played by accounting systems. International Journal of Public Administration, 2022, 45(8): 605-619. https://doi.org/10.1080/01900692.2020.1868506
- Kim JB, Lee JJ and Park JC. Internal control weakness and the asymmetrical behavior of selling, general, and administrative costs. Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 2022, 37(1): 259-292. https://doi.org/10.1177/0148558X19868114
- Vu Q and Nga NTT. Does the implementation of internal controls promote firm profitability? Evidence from private Vietnamese small-and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Finance Research Letters, 2022, 45: 102178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2021.102178
- Li L and McMurray A. Corporate Fraud Across the Globe. Springer Nature, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-19-3667-8
- Harasheh M and Provasi R. A need for assurance: Do internal control systems integrate environmental, social, and governance factors? Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 2023, 30(1): 384-401. https://doi.org/10.1002/csr.2361
- Tumwebaze Z, Mukyala V, Ssekiziyivu B, et al. Corporate governance, internal audit function and accountability in statutory corporations. Cogent Business & Management, 2018, 5(1): 1527054. https://doi.org/10.1080/23311975.2018.1527054
- Stansbury J and Barry B. Ethics programs and the paradox of control. Business Ethics Quarterly, 2007, 17(2): 239-261. https://doi.org/10.5840/beq200717229
- Kumar E and Mohan B. Origin and development of auditing. Paripex-Indian Journal of Research, 2015, 4(7): 43-46.
- Afriyie SO, Akomeah MO, Amoakohene G, et al. Forensic accounting: a novel paradigm and relevant knowledge in fraud detection and prevention. International Journal of Public Administration, 2022: 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1080/01900692.2021.2009855
- Lee JE. Internal control deficiencies and audit pricing: evidence from initial public offerings. Accounting & Finance, 2018, 58(4): 1201-1229. https://doi.org/10.1111/acfi.12241
- Liu N, Laing E, Cao Y, et al. Institutional ownership and corporate transparency in China. Finance Research Letters, 2018, 24: 328-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2017.12.001
- Robbins M and Meyer M. Auditing the National HR Standards: governance: HR standards. HR Future, 2014, 2014(2): 25-27.
- Ansoff HI, Kipley D, Lewis AO, et al. Implanting strategic management. Springer, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-99599-1
- Hosmer LT. Strategic planning as if ethics mattered. Strategic Management Journal, 1994, 15(S2): 17-34. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250151003
- Fukuyama F. Social capital and the global economy. Foreign Aff., 1995, 74: 89. https://doi.org/10.2307/20047302
- Ranasinghe U, Jefferies M, Davis P, et al. Resilience engineering indicators and safety management: A systematic review. Safety and Health at Work, 2020, 11(2): 127-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.shaw.2020.03.009
- Shin H and Park S. Does human resource investment in internal controls and information technology improve audit efficiency? International Journal of Auditing, 2022, 26(4): 515-533. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijau.12293
- Lartey PY, Kong Y, Afriyie SO, et al. Knowledge management issues in India: A public sector perspective. International Journal of Public Administration, 2021, 44(3): 215-230. https://doi.org/10.1080/01900692.2019.1676778
- Jarah BAF, Zaqeeba N, Al-Jarrah MFM, et al. The Mediating Effect of the Internal Control System on the Relationship between the Accounting Information System and Employee Performance in Jordan Islamic Banks. Economies, 2023, 11(3): 77. https://doi.org/10.3390/economies11030077
- Kong Y, Lartey PY, Bah FBM, et al. The value of public sector risk management: An empirical assessment of Ghana. Administrative Sciences, 2018, 8(3): 40. https://doi.org/10.3390/admsci8030040
- Hooks KL, Kaplan SE, Schultz Jr JJ, et al. Enhancing communication to assist in fraud prevention and detection; Comment: Whistle-blowing as an internal control mechanism: Individual and organizational considerations. Auditing, 1994, 13(2): 86.
- Chtioui T and Thiéry-Dubuisson S. Hard and soft controls: mind the gap! International Journal of Business, 2011, 16(3): 289.
- Falkenberg L and Herremans I. Ethical behaviours in organizations: Directed by the formal or informal systems? Journal of business Ethics, 1995. 14: 133-143. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00872018
- Western S. Leadership: A critical text. Leadership, 2019: 1-456.
- Agneessens F and Labianca GJ. Collecting survey-based social network information in work organizations. Social Networks, 2022, 68: 31-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socnet.2021.04.003
- Downes R, Daellenbach U and Donnelly N. Remote control: Attitude monitoring and informal control in distributed teams. Journal of Business Research, 2023, 154: 113293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2022.08.057
- Freeman WT, Anderson DB, Beardsley P, et al. Computer vision for interactive computer graphics. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 1998, 18(3): 42-53. https://doi.org/10.1109/38.674971
- Buhariwalla A. The softer side of controls: a people-focused approach to controls doesn't mean the organization is going easy on risks. Internal Auditor, 2006, 63(5): 81-85.
- Norris G and O'Dwyer B. Motivating socially responsive decision making: the operation of management controls in a socially responsive organisation. The British Accounting Review, 2004, 36(2): 173-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2003.11.004
- Collins JC and Porras JI. Building your company's vision. Harvard business review, 1996, 74(5): 65.
- Rae K and Subramaniam N. Quality of internal control procedures: Antecedents and moderating effect on organisational justice and employee fraud. Managerial Auditing Journal, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1108/02686900810839820
- Valentine S, Godkin L and Lucero M. Ethical context, organizational commitment, and person-organization fit. Journal of business ethics, 2002, 41: 349-360. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021203017316
- Barron P. Education and talent management: Implications for the hospitality industry. International journal of contemporary hospitality management, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596110810897583
- Paine LS. Moral thinking in management: An essential capability. Business Ethics Quarterly, 1996: 477-492. https://doi.org/10.2307/3857500
- Sterling TF. The Enron Scandal. Nova Publishers, 2002.
- Arora A and Sharma C. Corporate governance and firm performance in developing countries: evidence from India. Corporate Governance, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1108/CG-01-2016-0018
- Scupola A and Zanfei A. Governance and innovation in public sector services: The case of the digital library. Government Information Quarterly, 2016, 33(2): 237-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2016.04.005
- Sanchez-Marin G, Lozano-Reina G, Baixauli-Soler JS, et al. Say on pay effectiveness, corporate governance mechanisms, and CEO compensation alignment. BRQ Business Research Quarterly, 2017, 20(4): 226-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brq.2017.07.001
- Liedtka JM. Value congruence: The interplay of individual and organizational value systems. Journal of business ethics, 1989, 8: 805-815. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00383780
- Bursik Jr RJ and Grasmick HG. Economic deprivation and neighborhood crime rates, 1960-1980. Law & Soc'y Rev., 1993, 27: 263. https://doi.org/10.2307/3053937
- Wickes R. From perceptions to actions: The informal regulation of crime, in Crime and Disorder in Community Context. Routledge, 2021, 82-99. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315668178-5
- Black D. Social control as a dependent variable, in Toward a general theory of social control. Elsevier, 1984, 1-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-102801-5.50007-8
- Bellair PE and Browning CR. Contemporary disorganization research: An assessment and further test of the systemic model of neighborhood crime. Journal of research in crime and delinquency, 2010, 47(4): 496-521. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022427810375578
- Conger JA and Kanungo RN. The empowerment process: Integrating theory and practice. Academy of management review, 1988, 13(3): 471-482. https://doi.org/10.2307/258093
- Greco P, Laschinger HKS and Wong C. Leader empowering behaviours, staff nurse empowerment and work engagement/burnout. Nursing leadership, 2006, 19(4): 41-56. https://doi.org/10.12927/cjnl.2006.18599
- Lawler III EE. High-Involvement Management. Participative Strategies for Improving Organizational Performance, ERIC, 1986.
- Spreitzer GM. Social structural characteristics of psychological empowerment. Academy of Management Journal, 1996, 39(2): 483-504. https://doi.org/10.2307/256789
- Randolph WA. Navigating the journey to empowerment. Organizational dynamics, 1995, 23(4): 19-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(95)90014-4
- Jeon KS and Kim KN. How do organizational and task factors influence informal learning in the workplace? Human Resource Development International, 2012, 15(2): 209-226. https://doi.org/10.1080/13678868.2011.647463
- Truss C, Shantz A, Soane E, et al. Employee engagement, organisational performance and individual well-being: exploring the evidence, developing the theory. The international journal of human resource management, 2013, 24(14): 2657-2669. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2013.798921
- 66. Nor, R., et al., Organizational commitment and professionalism to determine public satisfaction through good governance, public service quality, and public empowerment. International Review on Public and Nonprofit Marketing, 2021: p. 1-27. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12208-021-00297-0
- Getha-Taylor H. Identifying collaborative competencies. Review of Public Personnel Administration, 2008, 28(2): 103-119. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734371X08315434
- Wheelen TL, Hunger JD, Hoffman AN, et al. Strategic management and business policy. Boston: pearson, 2017.
- Miville ML, Dua C, Nutt RL, et al. (2009). Integrating Practice Guidelines Into Professional Training: Implications for Diversity Competence. The Counseling Psychologist, 37(4), 519-563. https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000008323651
- Bhattacherjee A and Shrivastava U. The effects of ICT use and ICT Laws on corruption: A general deterrence theory perspective. Government Information Quarterly, 2018, 35(4): 703-712. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2018.07.006
- Boss SR, Kirsch LJ, Angermeier I, et al. If someone is watching, I'll do what I'm asked: mandatoriness, control, and information security. European Journal of Information Systems, 2009, 18: 151-164. https://doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2009.8
- Lartey PY, Shi J, Santosh RJ, et al. Importance of Organizational Tacit Knowledge: Barriers to Knowledge Sharing. Recent Advances in Knowledge Management. IntechOpen, 2022.
- Byrd GD and Winkelstein P. A comparative analysis of moral principles and behavioral norms in eight ethical codes relevant to health sciences librarianship, medical informatics, and the health professions. Journal of the Medical Library Association: JMLA, 2014, 102(4): 247. https://doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.102.4.006
- Sinclair A. Approaches to organisational culture and ethics. Journal of Business Ethics, 1993, 12: 63-73. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01845788
- Lu X, Yu H and Shan B. Relationship between Employee Mental Health and Job Performance: Mediation Role of Innovative Behavior and Work Engagement. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2022, 19(11): 6599. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19116599
- Sahibzada UF, Jianfeng C, Latif KF, et al. Interpreting the impact of knowledge management processes on organizational performance in Chinese higher education: mediating role of knowledge worker productivity. Studies in Higher Education, 2022, 47(4): 713-730. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2020.1793930
- Lundmark R, Richter A and Tafvelin S. Consequences of managers' laissez-faire leadership during organizational restructuring. Journal of Change Management, 2022, 22(1): 40-58. https://doi.org/10.1080/14697017.2021.1951811
- Boamah FA, Zhang J, Cao Z, et al. An empirical study on the sharing of tacit knowledge by construction project workers in sub-Saharan Africa. Knowledge Management Research & Practice, 2022: 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1080/14778238.2022.2105757
- Gouda H. Exploring the effects of learning abilities, technology and market changes on the need for future skills. Higher Education, Skills and Work-Based Learning, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1108/HESWBL-10-2021-0200
- David FR. Strategic management concepts and cases. Prentice hall, 2011.
- Weber M. Economy and society: An outline of interpretive sociology. University of California press, 1978.
- Diefenbach T. New public management in public sector organizations: the dark sides of managerialistic `enlightenment'. Public administration, 2009, 87(4): 892-909. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9299.2009.01766.x
- Cucari N, Esposito de Falco S and Orlando B. Diversity of board of directors and environmental social governance: Evidence from Italian listed companies. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 2018, 25(3): 250-266. https://doi.org/10.1002/csr.1452
- Rao K and Tilt C. Board composition and corporate social responsibility: The role of diversity, gender, strategy and decision making. Journal of Business Ethics, 2016, 138: 327-347. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-015-2613-5
- Martinsons MG, Davison RM and Huang Q. Strategic knowledge management failures in small professional service firms in China. International Journal of Information Management, 2017, 37(4): 327-338. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2017.04.003