Main Article Content
The wind resource assessment for three locations in Rakiraki, Fiji are carried out. The wind resources at Rokavukavu and Navolau has been analyzed along with the nearby Tuvavatu site. The annual diurnal wind speed, wind shear and turbulence intensity were analyzed. Rokavukavu, Navolau and Tuvavatu site has an average wind speed of 5.91 m/s, 8.94 m/s and 8.13 m/s respectively at 55 m above ground level (a.g.l). The wind direction for all the three sites is predominantly South-East. The diurnal wind speed pattern and the wind shear pattern for all the three sites were consistently similar. The turbulence intensity at Rokavukavu, Navolau and Tuvavatu were found to be 14.9%, 17.1% and 11.7% at 55 m a.g.l. The Weibull parameters and the wind power density were obtained for all the three sites by using the moment fitting method. A high resolution wind resource map for the three sites were obtained using Wind Atlas Analysis and Application Program (WAsP). The WAsP analysis indicates good wind potential at Navolau and Tuvavatu site for power production. The annual energy production (AEP) with six Vergnet 275 kW wind turbines for Navolau and Tuvavatu site is estimated and an economic analysis is performed, which exhibited a payback period of 5 and 6 years respectively.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Author L. The IPCC Special Report on Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation: Chapter 11 - Policy, Financing and Implementation, 2011.
- Sedaghat A, Hassanzadeh A, Jamali J, et al. Determination of rated wind speed for maximum annual energy production of variable speed wind turbines. Applied Energy, 2017, 205(11): 781-789. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.08.079
- BP. BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2018, 2018.
- Fried. World Wind Energy Association - Statistics, 2018. https://wwindea.org/information-2/information
- REN21. Ren21: Renewables 2018 global status report, 2018.
- Minaeian A, Sedaghat A, Mostafaeipour A, et al. Exploring economy of small communities and households by investing on harnessing wind energy in the province of Sistan- Baluchestan in Iran. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2017, 74(7): 835-847. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.02.065
- Bilal M, Araya G and Birkelund Y. Preliminary Assessment of Remote Wind Sites. Energy Procedia, 2015, 75(8): 658- 663. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.07.481
- FDoE. Fiji National Energy Policy, 2013.
- Karan M. WindAction $34m failure: FEA admits lack of study in wind farm project, 2009. http://www.windaction.org/posts/21883-34m-failure-fea-admits-lack-of-study-in-wind-farm-project.XARcijPRXIV
- Kumar A and Weir T. WIND POWER IN FIJI: a preliminary analysis of the Butoni wind farm, 2008.
- Boccard N. Capacity factor of wind power realized values vs. estimates. Energy Policy, 2009, 37(7): 2679-2688. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2009.02.046
- Gosai A. Wind Energy Potential And Electricity Generation At Rokavukavu, Rakiraki In Fiji, 2014.
- Morrison ML. Wind Resource Assessment - A Practical Guide to Developing a Wind Project. Wiley, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118249864
- Manwell JF, McGowan JG and Rogers AL. Wind energy explained: theory, design and application / 2nd ed. john Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- Mathew S. Wind energy: Fundamentals, resource analysis and economics, 2007.
- Thompson AH. Surface Temperature Inversions in a Canyon. Journal of Applied Meteorology, 1967, 6(2): 287-296. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0450(1967)006h0287:stiiaci2.0.co;2
- Wagner R, Pedersen TF, Courtney M, et al. Power curve measurement with a nacelle mounted lidar. Wind Energy, 2013, 17(9): 1441-1453. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.1643
- Gersten K and Schlichting H. Boundary-Layer Theory - Hermann Schlichting (Deceased), Klaus Gersten - Google Books, 9th ed. Germany, Springer, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-52919-5
- IEC61400-1. Wind turbines - Part 1: Design requirements, 2005.
- Grassi S, Junghans S and Raubal M . Assessment of the wake effect on the energy production of onshore wind farms using GIS. Applied Energy, 2014, 136(12): 827-837. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.05.066
- Volker PJH, Hahmann AN, Badger J, et al. Prospects for generating electricity by large onshore and offshore wind farms. Environmental Research Letters, 2017, 12(3): 034022. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aa5d86
- Elnaggar, Mohamed, Edwan, et al. Wind Energy Potential of Gaza Using Small Wind Turbines: A Feasibility Study. Energies, 2017, 10(8): 1229. https://doi.org/10.3390/en10081229
- Vaishali S, Gupta SC and Nema RK. A Critical Review on Wind Turbine Power Curve Modelling Techniques and Their Applications inWind Based Energy Systems. Journal of Energy, 2016, 2016: 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/8519785