Main Article Content
The overall prognosis in patients with advanced and metastatic lung cancer is poor, however a subset of these patients has durable survival and they are called long-term survivors (LS). The definition of LS varies in published series from 18 months to 5 years. Few studies have focused on them. We report six cases of LS patients: three cases of non-small- cell lung cancer (stage IIIB and stage IV), two case of small cell lung cancer, and a case of composite carcinoma (small cell carcinoma and squamous carcinoma), all having a survival of five years or more. Our patients show clinical and evolutionary similarities with LS in the literature regarding the prognostic factors associated with prolonged survival namely performance status and good response to first-line chemotherapy.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Blanchon F, Grivaux M, Asselain B, et al. 4-Year mortality in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer: developpement and validation of a prognostic index. Lancet Oncology, 2006, 7(10): 829-836. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(06)70868-3
- Debieuvre D, Locher C, Asselain B, et al. Evidence of slight improvement in five-year survival in non-small-cell lung cancer over the last 10 years: Results of the French KBPCPHG real-world studies. Bull Cancer, 2019, 106(4):283-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bulcan.2019.01.010
- Registre des cancers Nord Tunisie. Donn´ees 1999-2003, Evolution 1994-2003, Projections `a l’horizon 2024. Minist` ere de la sant´e publique (National Data).
- Le Chevalier T, Brisgand D, Soria JC, et al. Long -Term analysis of survival in the European Randomized Trial comparing Vinorelbine /Cisplatin to Vindesine/Cisplatin and Vinorelbine alone in advancerd non small cell lung cancer. Oncologist, 2001, 6: 8-11. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.6-suppl1-8
- Fossella F, Pereira JR, Pawel JV, et al. Randomized, Multinational, Phase III Study of Docetaxel Plus Platinum Combinations Versus Vinorelbine Plus Cisplatin for Advanced NonSmall-Cell Lung Cancer: The TAX 326 Study Group. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2003, 21(16): 3016-3024. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.12.046
- Tartarone A, Lerose R, Ardito R, et al. Long-term survival in small cell lung cancer: a case report and review of the literature. Future Oncology, 2014, 10(4): 523-528. https://doi.org/10.2217/fon.13.213
- Moro D, Nagy Mignotte H, Bolla M, et al. Evaluation de la survie et des facteurs pronostiques de 2000 cancer bronchopulmonaires enregistr´es en 10 ans dans une unit´e multidisciplinaire de canc´erologie. Bull Cancer, 1997, 84: 155-161.
- Paesmans M. Stage IV NSCLC. Prognostic factors]. Revue Des Maladies Respiratoires, 2008, 25(2): 99-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0761-8425(08)82014-1
- Finkelstein DM, Ettinger DS, Ruckdeschel JC. Long-term survivors in metastatic non-small lung cancer: an eastern cooperative oncology group study. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 1986, 4(5): 702-709. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.1922.214.171.1242
- Giroux Leprieur E, Lavole A, Ruppert AM, et al. Factors associated with long-term survival of patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Respirology, 2012, 17(1): 134- 142. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1843.2011.02070.x
- Chen YZ, Feng XB, Li ZD, et al. Clinical study on longterm overall survival of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer patients treated with Chinese medicine and western medicine. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, 2014, 20(3): 179-183. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11655-014-1770-6
- Dujon C, Azarian R and Petitpretz P. Long-term survivors of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: characterisation and prognostic factors in a retrospective study. Revue des Maladies Respiratoires, 2009, 26(9): 952-960. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0761-8425(09)73330-3
- Paesmans M, Sculier JP, Libert P, et al. Response to chemotherapy has predictive value for further survival of patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer: 10 years experience of the european lung cancer working party. European Journal of Cancer, 1997, 33(14): 2326-2332. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(97)00325-0
- Satoh H, Ishikawa H, Ohara G, et al. Long-term survivors after chemotherapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Anticancer Research, 2007, 27(6C): 4457-4460.
- Hong S, Cho BC, Choi HJ, et al. Prognostic factors in small cell lung cancer: a new prognostic index in Korean patients. Oncology. 2010, 79(3-4): 293-300. https://doi.org/10.1159/000323333
- Matsunuma R, Tanbo Y, Asai N, et al. Prognostic Factors in Patients with Terminal Stage Lung Cancer. Journal of Palliative Medicine,2014,17(2):189-194. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2013.0448
- Inomata M, Hayashi R, Tokui K, et al. Outcome and Prognostic Factors in Patients with Small Cell Lung Cancer who Receive Third-line Chemotherapy. Tumori, 2014, 100(5): 507-511. https://doi.org/10.1177/1660.18164
- 18. Ardizzoni A, Hansen H, Dombernowsky P, et al. Topotecan, a new active drug in the second-line treatment of smallcell lung cancer: a phase II study in patients with refractory and sensitive disease. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Early Clinical Studies Group and New Drug Development Office,and the Lung Cancer Cooperative Group. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 1997, 15: 2090-2096. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19126.96.36.1990
- Mori K, Kamiyama Y, Kondo T, et al. Pilot phase II study of weekly chemotherapy with paclitaxel and carboplatin for refractory or relapsed small-cell lung cancer. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, 2006, 58(1): 86-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-005-0114-4
- Hiraki A, Ueoka H, Yoshino T, et al. Synchronous primary lung cancer presenting with small cell carcinoma and nonsmall cell carcinoma: diagnosis and treatment. Oncology Reports, 1999,6: 75-80. https://doi.org/10.3892/or.6.1.75
- Chian CF, Perng WC, Cheng MF, et al. Synchronous double primary lung cancers via p53 pathway induced by heavy smoking. Annals of Saudi Medicine, 2010, 30(3): 236-238. https://doi.org/10.4103/0256-4947.62837
- Wang X,Wang M, Maclennan GT, et al. Evidence for Common Clonal Origin of Multifocal Lung Cancers. JNCI Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 2009, 101(8): 560-570. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djp054