Main Article Content
Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) mediated by plant extracts has drawn many research interests due to its simple, cost-effective, and eco-friendly approach. However, the extracts derived from phytoestrogenic plants that produce high phenolic-based compounds exhibiting the estrogenic activity have not yet investigated. This work reported the comparison of ethanolic extracts derived from phytoestogenic Dendrolobium lanceolatum and non-phytoestrogenic Raphanus sativus to facilitate the green synthesis of AgNPs. The total phenolic content and the reducing activity of D. lanceolatum extract were significantly higher than those of R. sativus extract. In addition, the formation of AgNPs could detect in the reaction using D. lanceolatum extract, but not R. sativus extract, as determined by the characteristic surface plasmon resonance peak of AgNPs at 416 nm. The synthesized AgNPs were spherical with an average diameter of 74.60±17.11 nm, which their face-centered cubic structure of silver was confirmed by X-ray diffraction analysis. Moreover, the synthesized AgNPs exhibited the antibacterial activity against both Gram-negative Escherichia coli and Gram-positive Staphylococcus aureus. The results of this work, thus, suggested the potential uses of phytoestrogenic plants as a good source of reducing and stabilizing agents for the production of AgNPs and other metallic nanoparticles.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Chen Y, Fan Z, Zhang Z, et al. Two-dimensional metal nanomaterials: synthesis, properties, and applications. Chemical Reviews, 2018, 118(13): 6409-6455.https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemrev.7b00727
- Iravani S, Korbekandi H, Mirmohammadi S, et al. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles: chemical, physical and biological methods. Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014, 9(6): 385-406.
- Huang H and Yang X. Synthesis of polysaccharide-stabilized gold and silver nanoparticles: a green method. Carbohydrate Research, 2004, 339(15): 2627-2631.https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carres.2004.08.005
- Murawala P, Phadnis SM, Bhonde RR, et al. In situ synthesis of water dispersible bovine serum albumin capped gold and silver nanoparticles and their cytocompatibility studies. Colloids & Surfaces B Biointerfaces, 2009, 73(2): 224-228.https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2009.05.029
- Shankar SS, Rai A, Ahmad A, et al. Rapid synthesis of Au, Ag, and bimetallic Au core–Ag shell nanoparticles using Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf broth. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2004, 275(2): 496-502.https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2004.03.003
- Thakkar KN, Mhatre SS and Parikh RY. Biological synthesis of metallic nanoparticles. Nanomedicine, 2010, 6(2): 257-262.https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nano.2009.07.002
- Jafari A, Pourakbar L, Farhadi K, et al. Biological synthesis of silver nanoparticles and evaluation of antibacterial and antifungal properties of silver and copper nanoparticles. Turkish Journal of Biology, 2015, 39(4): 556-561.https://doi.org/10.3906/biy-1406-81
- Brahmachari G, Sarkar S, Ghosh R, et al. Sunlight-induced rapid and efficient biogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles using aqueous leaf extract of Ocimum sanctum Linn. with enhanced antibacterial activity. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2014, 4(1): 1-10.https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s13588-014-0018-6
- Ahamed M, Khan MAM, Siddiqui MKJ, et al. Green synthesis, characterization and evaluation of biocompatibility of silver nanoparticles. Physica E, 2011, 43(6): 1266-1271.https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physe.2011.02.014
- Kalaiarasi K, Prasannaraj G, Sahi SV, et al. Phytofabrication of biomolecule-coated metallic silver nanoparticles using leaf extracts of in vitro-raised bamboo species and its anticancer activity against human PC3 cell lines. Turkish Journal of Biology, 2015, 39(2): 223-232.https://doi.org/10.3906/biy-1406-10
- Sithara R, Selvakumar P, Arun C, et al. Economical synthesis of silver nanoparticles using leaf extract of Acalypha hispida and its application in the detection of Mn(II) ions. Journal of Advanced Research, 2017, 8(6): 561-568.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jare.2017.07.001
- Bhati-Kushwaha H and Malik CP. Biopotential of Verbesina encelioides (stem and leaf powders) in silver nanoparticle fabrication. Turkish Journal of Biology, 2013, 37(6): 645-654.https://doi.org/10.3906/biy-1212-7
- Yuvarajan R, Natarajan D, Ragavendran C, et al. Photoscopic characterization of green synthesized silver nanoparticles from Trichosanthes tricuspidata and its antibacterial potential. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, 2015, 149: 300-307.https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2015.04.032
- Ajitha B, Reddy YAK and Reddy PS. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Momordica charantia leaf broth: evaluation of their innate antimicrobial and catalytic activities. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, 2015, 146: 1-9.https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2015.02.017
- Koduru JR, Kailasa SK, Bhamore JR, et al. Phytochemical-assisted synthetic approaches for silver nanoparticles antimicrobial applications: A review. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 2018, 256: 326-339.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cis.2018.03.001
- Albertazzi P and Purdie DW. The nature and utility of the phytoestrogens: a review of the evidence. Maturitas, 2002, 42(3): 173-185.https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5122(02)00024-5
- Raheja S, Girdhar A, Lather V, et al. Biochanin A: A phytoestrogen with therapeutic potential. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 2018, 79: 55-66.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2018.07.001
- Martins S, Aguilar CN, Teixeira JA, et al. Bioactive compounds (phytoestrogens) recovery from Larrea tridentata leaves by solvents extraction. Separation and Purification Technology, 2012, 88: 163-167.https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2011.12.020
- Özkan A, Gübbük H, Güneş E, et al. Antioxidant capacity of juice from different papaya (Carica papaya L.) cultivars grown under greenhouse conditions in Turkey. Turkish Journal of Biology, 2011, 35(5): 619-625.
- Schneider CA, Rasband WS and Eliceiri KW. NIH Image to ImageJ: 25 years of image analysis. Nature methods, 2012, 9(7): 671-675.https://doi.org/10.1038/nmeth.2089
- Chen Y, Deng Y, Pu Y, et al. One pot preparation of silver nanoparticles decorated TiO2 mesoporous microspheres with enhanced antibacterial activity. Materials Science and Engineering. C, Materials for Biological Applications, 2016, 65: 27-32.https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2016.04.028
- Kanokmedhakul S, Kanokmedhakul K, Nambuddee K, et al. New bioactive prenylflavonoids and dibenzocycloheptene derivative from roots of Dendrolobium lanceolatum. Journal of Natural Products, 2004, 67(6): 968-972.https://doi.org/10.1021/np030519j
- Ebrahimzadeh MA, Pourmorad F and Hafezi S. Antioxidant activities of Iranian corn silk. Turkish Journal of Biology, 2008, 32(1): 43-49.
- John J, Aravindakumar C and Thomas S. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using phyto-constituents of Ficus auriculata Lour. Scholarena Journal of Biotechnology, 2018, 4(103): 19-21.
- Corciova A and Ivanescu B. Biosynthesis, characterization and therapeutic applications of plant-mediated silver nanoparticles. Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society, 2018, 83(5): 515-538.https://doi.org/10.2298/JSC170731021C
- Vachali PP, Li B, Besch BM, et al. Protein-flavonoid interaction studies by a Taylor dispersion surface plasmon resonance (SPR) Technique: A novel method to assess biomolecular interactions. Biosensors, 2016, 6(1): 6-15.https://doi.org/10.3390/bios6010006
- Clarke G, Ting K, Wiart C, et al. High correlation of 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radical scavenging, ferric reducing activity potential and total phenolics content indicates redundancy in use of all three assays to screen for antioxidant activity of extracts of plants from the Malaysian rainforest. Antioxidants, 2013, 2(1): 1-10.https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox2010001
- Chandran SP, Chaudhary M, Pasricha R, et al. Synthesis of gold nanotriangles and silver nanoparticles using Aloevera plant extract. Biotechnology Progress, 2006, 22(2): 577-583.https://doi.org/10.1021/bp0501423
- Andas J and Adam F. One-pot synthesis of nanoscale silver supported biomass-derived silica. Materials Today: Proceedings, 2016, 3(6): 1345-1350.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2016.04.013
- Singhal G, Bhavesh R, Kasariya K, et al. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Ocimum sanctum (Tulsi) leaf extract and screening its antimicrobial activity. Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2011, 13(7): 2981-2988.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11051-010-0193-y
- Jokar M, Rahman RA, Ibrahim NA, et al. Melt production and antimicrobial efficiency of low-density polyethylene (LDPE)-silver nanocomposite film. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 2012, 5(2): 719-728.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-010-0329-1
- Leroueil PR, Hong S, Mecke A, et al. Nanoparticle interaction with biological membranes: does nanotechnology present a janus face? Accounts of Chemical Research, 2007, 40(5): 335-342.https://doi.org/10.1021/ar600012y
- Rajendran L, Knölker HJ and Simons K. Subcellular targeting strategies for drug design and delivery. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, 2010, 9: 29-42.https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd2897
- Raffi M, Hussain F, Bhatti T, et al. Antibacterial characterization of silver nanoparticles against E. coli ATCC-15224. Journal of Materials Science and Technology, 2008, 24(2): 192-196.
- Morones JR, Elechiguerra JL, Camacho A, et al. The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles. Nanotechnology, 2005, 16(10): 2346-2353.https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-4484/16/10/059