Effect of organic manures and micronutrients on seed production of carrot (Daucus carota L.)
Main Article Content
The experiment was conducted during 2021-22 in rabi season. The field study to assess the effects of organic manures and micronutrients on seed production of carrot (Daucus carota L.) cv. Pusa Rudhira was carried out at Horticulture farm, SKNCOA, Jobner, Rajasthan, India. The study revealed that the application of Poultry manure @ 2.5 t/ha significantly increased the plant height (41.95 cm), Number of shoots per plant (12.71), chlorophyll content (1.11 mg/100g), days to 50% umbel initiation (134.50 days) , number of umbels per plant (17.30), number of seed per umbel (1177.35), diameter of umbel (16.71 cm), seed weight per plant (8.43 g), days to seed maturity (185.27 minimum days) and seed yield per hectare (6.24 q/ha). Similarly, the spray of ZnSO4 @ 0.5% to the carrot crop significantly increased the plant height (40.60 cm), number of shoots per plant (12.49), chlorophyll content (1.07 mg/100g), days to 50% umbel initiation (133.51 days), number of umbels per plant (16.30), number of seed per umbel (1175.30), diameter of umbel (16.10 cm), seed weight per plant (8.39 g), days to seed maturity (184.12 days ) and seed yield per hectare (6.21 q/ha)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Singh KP and Bahadur A. Cultivation of carrot, production and improvement of vegetables. Kalyani Publication New Delhi, 2015, 2: 386-396.
- Warman PR. The effect of fertilizer, chicken manure and dairy manure on Timothy yield, tissue composition and soil fertility. Agricultural Wastes, 1986, 18: 289-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-4607(86)90074-0
- Siddiky MA, Halder NK, Ahammad KU, et al. Response of brinjal to zinc and boron fertilization. International Journal of sustainable Agriculture Technology, 2007, 3: 40-45.
- Mog B. Effect of organics and biofertilizers on productivity potential in carrot (Daucus carota L.) (M.Sc. Agric. Thesis in Crop Physiology). Department of Crop Physiology College of Agriculture, Dharwad University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India, 2007.
- Duncan J. Composting chicken manure WSU cooperative extension King Country Master Gardener and cooperative extension livestock advisor, 2005, pp. 255.
- Bhattarai BP and Maharjan A. Effect of organic nutrient management on the growth and yield of carrot (Daucus carota L.) and soil fertility status. Nepalese Journal of Agriculture Science, 2013, 11: 16-25.
- Kumar S, Maji S, Kumar S, et al. Efficacy of organic manures on growth and yield of radish (Raphanus sativus L.) cv. Japanese White, International Journal of Plant Science, 2014, 9(1): 57-60.
- Yadav AK, Varghese K and Abraham T. Response of biofertilizers, poultry manure and different levels of phosphorus on nodulation and yield of green gram (Vigna radiata L.). Agricultural Science Digest, 2007, 27(3): 213-215.
- Catmak I. Possible role of zinc in protecting plants cells from damage by reactive oxyzen species. New Pathologist, 2000, 146: 185-205. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1469-8137.2000.00630.x
- Marschner H. Functions of mineral nutrients: micronutrients. In: Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants. 2nd Ed., Academic Press, London, 1995, 313-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-012473542-2/50011-0
- Sharma MP, Singh A and Gupta JP. Sulphur status and response of onion to applied sulphur in soils of Jammu district. Journal of Agriculture Science, 2002, 72: 26-28.
- Yadav LN. Response of pearlmillet varieties to varying levels of phosphorus and zinc a loamy sand soil. M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis, Rajasthan Agricultural University, Bikaner, 1990.
- Maliwal PC, Manohar SS and Dhaka SS. Response of pearlmillet (Pennisetum americanum L.) to different levels of phosphorus zinc and farm yard manure. Indian Journal of Agronomy, 1985, 30: 314-317.
- Jat PC. Effect of phosphorus and zinc on fodder production of bajra, M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis Rajasthan Agricultural University, Bikaner, 1990.
- Sharma RA. Influence of integrated fertility management on productivity and water use efficiency of rainfed soyabean, Crop Research, 1992, 52-58.
- Sharangi AB, Pariari A, Chatterjee R, et al. Response of boron and zinc on growth and seed yield of fenal. Dept. of spices and plantation crops, faculty of Horticuture, Bidhan Chandra Karshi Viswavidyalaya, Mohanpur, West Bengal. Journal of Intracademicia, 2009, 6: 472-475.
- Dwivedi SK, Singh RS and Dwivedi KN. Effect of sulphur and zinc on yield and nutrient content in maize. Annals of Plant and Soil Research, 2001, 3: 155-157.