Main Article Content
Employees are viewed as the most valuable organizational assets especially in today's competitive environment. Accordingly, it is essential to retain skilled employees and provide a supportive environment to improve their performance especially in service companies as their employees have direct communication and interaction with customers. The purpose of this research is to examine the influence of organizational politics and emotional intelligence on two fundamental employee outcomes: turnover intention and employee performance. In addition, the current study examined the moderating impact of emotional intelligence on the relationship between organizational politics and turnover intention, and on the relationship between organizational politics and employee performance. Further, the study examined the association between employee characteristics: gender, age and work experience, and their turnover intention and performance. This study employed a quantitative research method and used administered survey questionnaire to collect data from 400 employees working in four service industries in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor states, Malaysia: banking, telecommunication, insurance and tourism. Structural equation modelling using Smart-PLS was used to analyze collected data. The research findings revealed that organizational politics and emotional intelligence had a significant impact on turnover and employee performance. However, emotional intelligence had no significant moderating impact on the relationship between organizational politics and the two employee outcomes: turnover intention and employee performance. Moreover, employees' age was found to be significantly related to their turnover intention as employees as older employees were found to have a low turnover intention. The findings of this research provide a significant managerial implications which revolve around the need for managers to ensure a fair and effective organizational politics and retain employees with good level of emotional intelligence.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Abbas Q and Yaqoob S. Effect of leadership development on employees’ performance in Pakistan. Pakistan Economic and Social Review, 2009, 47(2): 269-292.
- Abbas M and Raja U. Impact of perceived organizational politics on supervisory- rated innovative performance and job stress: Evidence from Pakistan. Journal of Advanced Management Science, 2014, 2(2): 158-162. https://doi.org/10.12720/joams.2.2.158-162
- Bai Y, Han GH and Harms PD. Team conflict mediates the effects of organizational politics on employees’ performance: A cross-level analysis in China. Journal of Business Ethics, 2016, 139(1): 95-109. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-015-2604-6
- Vigoda EG and Angert L. Goal Setting Theory, Job Feedback, and OCB: Lessons From a Longitudinal Study. Basic And Applied Social Psychology, 2007, 119-128. https://doi.org/10.1080/01973530701331536
- Witt LA, Kacmar KM, Carlson DS, et al. Interactive effects of personality and organizational politics and contextual performance. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 2002, 23: 911-926. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.172
- Chang CH, Rosen CC and Levy PE. The relationship between perceptions of organizational politics and employee attitudes, strain, and behavior: A meta-analyticexamination. Academy of Management Journal, 2009, 52(4): 779-801. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2009.43670894
- Cohen G, Robert B and Goodman D. Does Turnover Intention Matter? Evaluating the Usefulness of Turnover Intention Rate as a Predictor of Actual Turnover Rate. Review of Public Administrtion, 2015, 36 (3): 240-263. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734371X15581850
- Riaz F, Naeem S, Khanzada B, et al. Impact of emotional intelligence on turnover intention, job performance and organizational citizenship behavior with mediating role of political skill. Journal of Health Education Research and Development, 2018, 6: 250. https://doi.org/10.4172/2380-5439.1000250
- Akhtar MW, Shabir A, Safdar MS, et al. Impact of Emotional Intelligence on Turnover Intentions: The Role of Organizational Commitment and Perceive Organizational Support. Journal of Accounting and Marketing , 2017, 6: 259. https://doi.org/10.4172/2168-9601.1000259
- Trivellas P, Gerogiannis V and Svarna S. Exploring workplace implications of emotional intelligence (WLEIS) in hospitals: Job satisfaction and turnover, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.02.108
- Raza B, Ali M, Naseem K, et al. Impact of trait mindfulness on job satisfaction and turnover intentions: Mediating role of work-family balance and moderating role of work- family conflict. Cogent Business and Management, 2018, 5: 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/23311975.2018.1542943
- Dulewicz V. The Relevance of Emotional Intelligence for Leadership Performance. Journal of General Management, 2005, 30( 3): 71-72. https://doi.org/10.1177/030630700503000305
- Rexhepi G and Berisha B. The effects of emotional intelligence in employees performance. International Journal of Business and Globalization, 2017, 18(4): 467-479. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJBG.2017.084351
- Munir M and Azam R. Emotional Intelligence and Employee Performance: An Intervention Based Experimental Study. Journal of Business & Economics, 2018, 9(20): 1-19.
- Priti Suman Mishra and A K Das Mohapatra (2010) Relevance of Emotional Intelligence for Effective Job Performance: An Empirical Study. The journal for Decision Makers, 35: 53-61. https://doi.org/10.1177/0256090920100104
- Ferris GR, Adams G, Kolodinsky RW, et al. Perceptions of organizational politics: Theory and research directions. Research in Multi-Level Issues, The Many Faces of Multi-Level, 2002, 1: 179- 254. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1475-9144(02)01034-2
- Hassan H, Vina TM and Ithnin NS. Perceived Organizational Politics And Job Satisfaction: The Role Of Personality As Moderator. Scientific Journal of Logistics, 2017, 13(4): 479-493.
- Rosen CC, Levy PE and Hall RJ. Placing perceptions of politics in the context of the feedback environment, employee attitudes, and job performance. Journal of Applied Psychology, 2006, 91(1): 211-220. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.1.211
- Vigoda-Gadot E and Talmud I. Organizational politics and job outcomes: The moderating effect of trust and social support. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 2010, 40(11): 2829-2861. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2010.00683.x
- Vigoda-Gadot E and Kapun D. Perceptions of politics and perceived performance in public and private organisations: a test of one model across two sectors. Policy & Politics, 2005, 251-276. https://doi.org/10.1332/0305573053870185
- Albloush, et al. The Impact Of Organizational Politics On Employees Performance In Jordan. Journal of Critical Reviews, 2020, 7(17): 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1332/0305573053870185
- Poon JM. Distributive justice, procedural justice, affective commitment, and turnover intention: A mediation-moderation framework. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 2012, 42(6): 1505-1532. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2012.00910.x
- Sidle SD. Workplace stress management interventions: What works best? Academy of Management Perspectives, 2008, 22(3): 111-112. https://doi.org/10.5465/amp.2008.34587999
- Wong CS, Wong PM and Law KS. Evidence on the practical utility of Wong’s emotional intelligence scale in Hong Kong and Mainland China. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 2007, 24: 43-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10490-006-9024-1
- Mastar CN, Darus A and Shamsudin AS. The relationship between perceived organizational politics and turnover intention of hotel industry in Malaysia. The social Science,2016, (11): 7195-7198.
- Brewster T. Emotional Intelligence, Turnover Intention, and Commitment Among Nonprofit Employees. Doctoral Thesis, Walden University, 2020.
- Mohammad F, Lau TC, Law KA, et al. Emotional intelligence and turnover intention. International Journal of Academic Research, 2014, 6(4): 211-220.
- Venugopal V. The Effects Of Organizational Politics On Employees Performance:The Role Of Emotional Intelligence And Sprituality. Master thesis Universiti Utara Malaysia, 2013.
- Puri K and Mehta M. The Relationship Between Emotional Intelligence And Job Performance: A Study Of Hospitals Employees. International Journal Of Scientific & Technology Research, 2020, 9(1): 1-10.
- Hochwarter WA, Ferris GR, Zinko R, et al. Reputation as a moderator of political behavior - work outcomes relationships: a two-study investigation with convergent results. Journal of Applied Psychology, 2007, 92(2): 567-576. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.92.2.567
- Yusof GM, Zulkiffli SN, Padlee SF, et al. The Relationship between Organizational Politics, Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention in the Maritime-Related Agencies in the East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia. Conference Paper. International Conference on Economics, Business and Economic Education, 2018.
- Sanchez-Gomez M and Breso E. In Pursuit of Work Performance: Testing the Contribution of Emotional Intelligence and Burnout. International Journal Of Environmental Research And Public Health, 2020, 17: 5373. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17155373
- Swanson A, Zobisch P. Emotional intelligence understanding among real estate professionals. GJBR, 2014, 8: 9-16.
- Duque-Ceballos JL, Garc´ıa-Solarte M and Hurtado-Ayala A. Influencia de la inteligencia emocional sobre las competencias laborales: Un estudio emp´ırico con empleados del nivel administrativo. Estud. Gerenc, 2017, 33: 250-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.estger.2017.06.005