Principles of public internal controls: A mediation role of information and communication
Main Article Content
While empirical research has demonstrated the critical nature of internal controls, there is insufficient evidence to indicate that they are effective at detecting and preventing irregularities in the public sector. By analyzing the direct and indirect relationships between internal control components, this study focuses on the quality of internal control in Ghana's public sector. In order to determine whether ongoing controls are consistent with sound public policy, a survey was designed and distributed to public sector employees and managers. According to the evidence, public administrators require high-quality information and communication tools to supplement their existing control systems. Additionally, internal controls are significantly influenced by risk assessment and the control environment, whereas monitoring and control activities have a limited impact. Effective internal communication is necessary for the coordination and implementation of control policies.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Zarychta, A, Grillos T and Andersson KP. Public Sector Governance Reform and the Motivation of Street-Level Bureaucrats in Developing Countries. Public Administration Review, 2020, 80(1): 75-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/puar.13132
- Torfing J, Sørensen E and Røiseland A. Transforming the public sector into an arena for co-creation: Barriers, drivers, benefits, and ways forward. Administration & Society, 2019, 51(5): 795-825. https://doi.org/10.1177/0095399716680057
- Christl M, K¨oppl-Turyna M and Kucsera D. Determinants of Public-Sector Efficiency: Decentralization and Fiscal Rules. Kyklos, 2020, 73(2): 253-290. https://doi.org/10.1111/kykl.12224
- Alawattage C and Azure JD-C. Behind the World Bank’s ringing declarations of “social accountability”: Ghana’s public financial management reform. Critical perspectives on accounting, 2019.
- INTOSAI I. Guidelines for Internal Control Standards for the Public Sector. Jones M.(2008). Dialogus de Scaccario (c. 1179): the first Western book on accounting, 2004.
- COSO, COSO Internal Control - Integrated Framework Principles. Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Tread way Commission - www.coso.org, 2013.
- OECD O. The OECD principles of corporate governance. Contadur´ıa y Administraci´on, 2004(216). https://doi.org/10.22201/fca.24488410e.2005.562
- COSO, Internal Control, Integrated Framework: Executive Summary. 1992: Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission.
- COSO. Improving Organizational Performamnce and Governance How the COSO Framework Can Help 2015. https://www.coso.org/Documents/2014-2-10-COSO-Thought-Paper.pdf
- COSO, COSO Enterprise Risk Management - Integrating with Strategy and Performance: Compendium of Examples, J.B. Suzanne Dawson, Editor. 2018, S&C Public Relations Inc: New York.
- Commission, C.o.S.O.o.t.T., COSO Internal control-integrated framework: Guidance on monitoring internal control systems, Volume III: Examples. 2009.
- Lartey PY, Kong YS, Bah FBM, et al. Determinants of Internal Control Compliance in Public Organizations; Using Preventive, Detective, Corrective and Directive Controls. International Journal of Public Administration, 2020, 43(8): 711-723. https://doi.org/10.1080/01900692.2019.1645689
- Chang YT, Chen HC, Cheng RK, et al. The impact of internal audit attributes on the effectiveness of internal control over operations and compliance. Journal of Contemporary Accounting & Economics, 2019, 15(1): 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcae.2018.11.002
- Kong Y, Lartey, PY, Bah FBM, et al. The Value of Public Sector Risk Management: An Empirical Assessment of Ghana. Administrative Sciences, 2018, 8(3): 40. https://doi.org/10.3390/admsci8030040
- Udeh I. Observed effectiveness of the COSO 2013 framework. Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1108/JAOC-07-2018-0064
- Pakur´ar M, Haddad H, Nagy J, et al. The impact of supply chain integration and internal control on financial performance in the Jordanian banking sector. Sustainability, 2019, 11(5): 1248. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11051248
- Pieket Weeserik B and Spruit M. Improving Operational Risk Management Using Business Performance Management Technologies. Sustainability, 2018, 10(3): 640. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10030640
- Hanggraeni D, ´Slusarczyk B, Sulung LAK, et al. The Impact of Internal, External and Enterprise Risk Management on the Performance of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises. Sustainability, 2019, 11(7): 2172. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11072172
- Liu, JY. An internal control system that includes corporate social responsibility for social sustainability in the new era. Sustainability, 2018, 10(10): 3382. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10103382
- Ferry L. Managing Organisational Culture for Effective Internal Control: From Practice to Theory. The British Accounting Review, 2011, 43(2): 147-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2011.03.003
- Gurd B and Helliar C. Looking for leaders: ’Balancing’ innovation, risk and management control systems. The British Accounting Review, 2017, 49(1): 91-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2016.10.008
- Organ DW. Leadership: The great man theory revisited. Business Horizons, 1996, 39(3): 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-6813(96)90001-4
- Li X, Zheng CM, Liu G, et al. The effectiveness of internal control and corporate social responsibility: Evidence from Chinese capital market. Sustainability, 2018, 10(11): 4006. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10114006
- Bellavite Pellegrini C, Meoli M and Urga G. Money market funds, shadow banking and systemic risk in United Kingdom. Finance Research Letters, 2017, 21: 163-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2017.02.002
- Lartey PY, Afriyie S, Santosh RJ, et al. Corporate Governance Issues in the Public Sector: Board Perspective and Peculiarities. Brazilian Journal of Operations & Production Management, 2020, 17(1): 1-14. https://doi.org/10.14488/BJOPM.2020.001
- Demek KC, Raschke RL, Janvrin DJ, et al. Do organizations use a formalized risk management process to address social media risk? International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, 2018, 28: 31-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.accinf.2017.12.004
- Lawson BP, Muriel L and Sanders PR. A survey on firms’ implementation of COSO’s 2013 Internal Control-Integrated Framework. Research in Accounting Regulation, 2017, 29(1): 30-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.racreg.2017.04.004
- Doyle J, Ge W and McVay S. Determinants of weaknesses in internal control over financial reporting. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2007, 44(1): 193-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacceco.2006.10.003
- Oussii AA and Taktak NB. The impact of internal audit function characteristics on internal control quality. Managerial Auditing Journal, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1108/MAJ-06-2017-1579
- Kaya ˙I. Perspectives on Internal Control and Enterprise Risk Management. in Eurasian Business Perspectives, 2018, 379-389. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-67913-6_26
- Woods M, Linsley P and Maffei M. Accounting and Risk Special Issue: Editorial. The British Accounting Review, 2017, 49(1): 1-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2016.11.002
- Chen H, Yang DG, Zhang XM, et al. The Moderating Role of Internal Control in Tax Avoidance: Evidence from a COSO-Based Internal Control Index in China. The Journal of the American Taxation Association, 2020, 42(1): 23-55. https://doi.org/10.2308/atax-52408
- Prajogo D, Toy J, Bhattacharya A, et al. The relationships between information management, process management and operational performance: Internal and external contexts. International Journal of Production Economics, 2018, 199: 95-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2018.02.019
- Apergis N, Fafaliou I and Stefanitsis M. Asymmetric information and employment: evidence from the U.S. banking sector. The Journal of Economic Asymmetries, 2016, 14: 199-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeca.2016.09.001
- Johanson JE. Internal Strategic Scanning, in Strategy Formation and Policy Making in Government. 2019, 121-142. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-03439-9_6
- Bolland MJ, Gamble GD, Avenell A, et al. Rounding, but not randomization method, non-normality, or correlation, affected baseline P-value distributions in randomized trials. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 2019, 110: 50-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2019.03.001
- Hair JF, Risher JJ, Sarstedt M, et al. When to use and how to report the results of PLS-SEM. European Business Review, 2019, 31(1): 2-24. https://doi.org/10.1108/EBR-11-2018-0203
- Nedyalkova P. Presentation of the Dependence Between the Chosen Internal Audit Approach and the Methods for Assessing the Quality of the Internal Audit in the Public Sector, in Quality of Internal Auditing in the Public Sector, 2020, 105-114. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-29329-1_8
- Shmueli G and Koppius OR. Predictive analytics in information systems research. MIS quarterly, 2011, 553-572. https://doi.org/10.2307/23042796
- Sarstedt M, Ringle CM, Henseler J, et al. On the emancipation of PLS-SEM: A commentary on Rigdon (2012). Long range planning, 2014. 47(3): 154-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2014.02.007
- Henseler J, Ringle CM and Sinkovics RR. The use of partial least squares path modeling in international marketing, in New challenges to international marketing. 2009, Emerald Group Publishing Limited. 277-319. https://doi.org/10.1108/S1474-7979(2009)0000020014
- Raithel S, Sarstedt M, Scharf S, et al. On the value relevance of customer satisfaction. Multiple drivers and multiple markets. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2012, 40(4): 509-525. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-011-0247-4
- Sekaran U and Bougie R. Theoretical framework in theoretical framework and hypothesis development. Research methods for business: A skill building approach, 2010, 80.
- Fornell C and Larcker DF. Structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error: Algebra and statistics. 1981, SAGE Publications Sage CA: Los Angeles, CA. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150980
- Bentler PM. Comparative fit indexes in structural models. Psychological bulletin, 1990, 107(2): 238. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.2.238
- Schumacker RE. Interaction and nonlinear effects in structural equation modeling. 2017: Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315092614
- McIver J and Carmines EG. Unidimensional scaling. 1981: Sage. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781412986441
- Silverstein C, Brin S, Motwani R, et al. Scalable techniques for mining causal structures. Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 2000, 4(2-3): 163-192. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009891813863
- Kline RB. Structural equation modeling. 1998, New York: Guilford Press.
- Lomax RG and Schumacker RE. A beginner’s guide to structural equation modeling. 2004: psychology press.
- Paswan AK and Wittmann CM. Knowledge management and franchise systems. Industrial Marketing Management, 2009, 38(2): 173-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2008.12.005
- Steiger JH. Structural model evaluation and modification: An interval estimation approach. Multivariate behavioral research, 1990, 25(2): 173-180. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327906mbr2502_4
- J¨oreskog KG. Analysis of covariance structures. in Multivariate analysis-III, 1973, 263-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-426653-7.50024-7
- Hoelter JW. The analysis of covariance structures: Goodness-of-fit indices. Sociological Methods & Research, 1983, 11(3): 325-344. https://doi.org/10.1177/0049124183011003003
- Hu LT and Bentler PM. Evaluating model fit, 1995.
- Lin YC. The consequences of audit committee quality. Managerial Auditing Journal, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1108/MAJ-03-2016-1350
- Webber M. Economy and society. New York: Bedminster, 1992.
- Lisic LL, Myers LA, Seidel TA, et al. Does audit committee accounting expertise help to promote audit quality? Evidence from auditor reporting of internal control weaknesses. Contemporary Accounting Research, 2019, 36(4): 2521-2553. https://doi.org/10.1111/1911-3846.12517
- Falkenberg L and Herremans I. Ethical behaviours in organizations: directed by the formal or informal systems? Journal of business Ethics, 1995, 14(2): 133-143. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00872018
- Cucari NS. Esposito De Falco and Orlando B. Diversity of board of directors and environmental social governance: Evidence from Italian listed companies. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 2018, 25(3): 250-266. https://doi.org/10.1002/csr.1452
- Christensen T, Lægreid P and Rovik KA. Organization theory and the public sector: Instrument, culture and myth. 2020: Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780367855772