Main Article Content
Climate change effect can be either positive or negative on the human . Its impact on the energy consumption of a country for space heating and cooling purposes depends on the current and future regional climate, the required thermal comfort inside buildings, and the technical building features such as thermal insulation quality and occupants’ habits. The aim of this research is to study the variation of the air temperature in several regions of Madagascar and then to simulate the impact of climate change on the need for energy consumption in household cooling and heating systems using degree-day index. The results showed that the temperature changes more rapidly in the rainy season than in the dry season. The energy demand for cooling is constantly growing in all the regions of Madagascar. Besides, an average around of 526 degree-day is expected in several regions of island by 2050. In the same year, air temperature is estimated to reach up to 2°C.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- IEA. World energy outlook 2010. Paris: International Energy Agency, 2010.
- Goldemberg J. World energy assessment, energy and the challenge of sustainability. New York: UNDP, 2000.
- Nematchoua MK, Yvon A, Roy SEJ, et al. A review on energy consumption in the residential and commercial buildings located in tropical regions of Indian Ocean: A case of Madagascar island. Journal of Energy Storage, 2019, 24: 100748 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2019.04.022
- Orosa MKNJA and SigridReiter. Climate change: Variabilities, vulnerabilities and adaptation analysis - A case of seven cities located in seven countries of Central Africa. Urban Climate. 2019, 29: 100486. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.uclim.2019.100486
- Badjeck B, Ibrahima NC and Slaviero F. Mission fao/pam d’´evaluation de la s´ecurit´e Alimentaire `a madagascar, 2013, 9: 5-72.
- Programme d’action national d’adaptation au changement climatique. Ministere de l’environnement, des eaux et forˆets Direction generale de l’environnement, 2013: 8-67.
- Tadross M, Randriamarolaza L, Rabefitia Z, et al. Climate change in Madagascar: Recent past and future. Meteo Malgasy, 2008, 118.
- Rabefitia Z, Randriamarolaza LYA and Rakotondrafara ML. Changement climatique `a Mada-gascar, 2008: 8-30.
- IPCC, 2007. The physical science basis. In: Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, et al. (eds) Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Jump up. “Technical Summary”, 3. Review of Past IPCC Emissions Scenarios, inIPCC SRES, 2000: 24.
- Delfani S, Karami M and Pasdarshahri H. The effects of climate change on energy consumption of cooling systems in Tehran. Energy and Buildings, 2010, 42(10): 1952-1957. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2010.06.001
- Shanahan M, Shubert W, Scherer C, et al. Le changement climatique en Afrique: Guide `a l’intention des journalistes. Publi´e en 2014 par l’Organisation des Nations Unies pour l’´education, la science et la culture, 2014, 11: 105.
- Belzer DB, Scott JM and Sands RD. Climate change impacts on U.S. commercial building energy consumption: an analysis using sample survey data. Energy Source, 1996, 18: 177-201. https://doi.org/10.1080/00908319608908758
- Cartalis C, Synodinou A, Proedrou M, et al. Modifications in energy demand in urban areas as a result of climate changes: an assessment for the southeast Mediterranean region. Energy Conversion and Management, 2001, 42: 1656- 1674. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-8904(00)00156-4
- Pretlove SEC and Oreszczyn T. Climate change: impact on the environmental design of buildings. Proceedings CIBSE. Build Service Engineering Research and Technology, 1998, 19: 55-58. https://doi.org/10.1177/014362449801900110
- Roberts S. Effects of climate change on the built environment. Energy Policy, 2008, 36: 4552-4557. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2008.09.012
- Hulme MR, Doherty T, Ngara MN, et al. African Climate Change: 1900-2100. Climate Research, 2001, 17(2): 145- 168. https://doi.org/10.3354/cr017145
- IPCC (2001). Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Contribution of Working group 1 to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK. New York, US, Cambridge University Press.
- IPCC (2007). Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- Invidiata A and Enedir Ghisi. Impact of climate change on heating and cooling energy demand in houses in Brazil. Energy and Buildings, 2016, 130: 20-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2016.07.067
- Neto AH and Fiorelli FAS. Comparison between detailed model simulation and articial neural network for forecasting building energy consumption. Energy and Buildings, 2008, 40: 2169-2176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2008.06.013
- Wang HJ and Chen QQ. Impact of climate change heating and cooling energy use in buildings in the United States. Energy and Buildings, 2014, 82: 428-436. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2014.07.034
- Hassan R. Evaluating the potential impact of global warming on the UAE residential buildingsA contribution to reduce the CO2 emissions. Building and Environment, 2009, 44(24): 51-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2009.04.006
- Ambrose D, Gustavsson L and Bonakdar F. Effects of future climate change scenarios on overheating risk and primary energy use for Swedish residential buildings. Energy Procedia, 2014, 61: 1179-1182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.1048
- Asimakopoulosa DA, Santamourisa M, Farroua I, et al. Modelling the energy demand projection of the building sector in Greece in the 21st century. Energy and Buildings, 2012, 49: 488-498. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2012.02.043
- Berger T, Christoph, Amann, et al. Impacts of climate change upon cooling and heating energy demand of ofce buildings in Vienna, Austria. Energy and Buildings, 2014, 80: 517-530. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2014.03.084
- Kevin KWW, Danny HWL, Pan WY, et al. Impact of climate change on building energy use in different climate zones and mitigation and adaptation implications. Applied Energy, 2012, 97: 274-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.11.048
- Wang XM, Chen D and Ren ZQ. Assessment of climate change impact on residential building heating and cooling energy requirement in Australia. Building and Environment, 2010, 45: 1663-1682. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2010.01.022
- Mission fao/pam d’´evaluation de la s´ecurit´e Alimentaire `a Madagascar 9 octobre, 2013: 2-75.
- IPCC. Climate change: Impact, adaptation and vulnerability. Summary for Policymakers, working group ii contribution to the fifth assessment report of the climate. Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- Roshan GR, Orosa JA and Nasrabadi T. Simulation of climate change impact on energy consumption in buildings: Case study of Iran. Energy Policy, 2012, 49: 731-739. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2012.07.020
- Kameni Nematchoua M, Ricciardi P, Reiter S, et al. Thermal comfort and comparison of some parameters coming from hospitals and shopping centers under natural ventilation: the Case of Madagascar Island. Journal of Building Engineering, 2017: S2352710217302437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2017.07.014
- Laprise R, Hern´andez-D´ıaz L, Tete K, et al. Climate projections over CORDEX Africa domain using the ifthgeneration Canadian Regional Climate Model (CRCM5). Clim Dyn. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00382-012-1651-2
- Mariotti L, Coppola E, Sylla MB, et al. Region climate model simulation of projected 21st century clima change over an all-Africa domain: comparison analysis of neste and driving model results. J Geophys Res, 2011, 116(D15): D15111. https://doi.org/10.1029/2010JD015068
- Mariotti L, Diallo I, Coppola E, et al. Seasonal and inter seasonal changes of African monsoon climates in 21st centur CORDEX projections. Clim Chang, 2014, 125: 53-65. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-014-1097-0
- Racsko P, SzeidlL and Semenov M. A serial approach to local stochastic weather models. Ecological Modeling, 1991, 57: 27-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3800(91)90053-4
- Semenov MA and Barrow EM. LARS-WG a stochastic weather generator for use in climate impact studies. User’s manual, Version 3.0. http://www.rothamsted.ac.uk/mas-models/download/ LARS-WG-Manual.pdf
- Orosa A, Roshan GR and Negahban S. Climate change effect on outdoor ambiences in Iranian cities. Environ Monit Assess, 2014, 186: 1889-1898. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-013-3502-y
- Nematchoua MK, Yvon A, Kalameu O, et al. Impact of climate change on demands for heating and cooling energy in hospitals. An in-depth case study of six islands located in the Indian Ocean region. Sustainable Cities and Society, 2019, 44: 629-645. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2018.10.031
- Nematchoua MK, Ricciardi P, Orosa J, et al. A detailed study of climate change and some vulnerabilities in Indian Ocean: A case of Madagascar island. Sustainable Cities and Society, 2018, 41: 886-898. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2018.05.040
- Nematchoua MK, Ricciardi P and Buratti C. Statistical analysis of indoor parameters an subjective responses of building Occupants in a hot region of Indian ocean; a case of Madagascar island. Applied Energy, 2017, 28: 1562-1575. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.08.207
- Lehmann EL and Romano JP. Testing statistical hypotheses. Springer, 2005.
- Boslaugh S. Statistics in anutshell. 2nd ed. O’ Reilly Media, Inc, 2012.
- Lioubimtseva E. Africa and global climate change impacts, vulnerabilities and adaptation challenges. Taylor & Francis, Chapter, 2014, 219-230. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203803929-22
- Anapalli SS, Fisher DK, Reddy KN, et al. Vulnerabilities and Adapting Irrigated and Rainfed Cotton to Climate Change in the Lower Mississippi Delta Region. Climate, 2016, 4(4): 55. https://doi.org/10.3390/cli4040055
- Nematchoua MK, Roshan GR, Tchinda R, et al. Climate change and its role in forecasting energy demand in buildings: A case study of Douala City, Cameroon.Journal of Earth System Science, 2015, 124(1): 269-281. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12040-014-0534-9
- Yu J, Yang C, Tian L, et al. Evaluation on energy and thermal performance for residential envelopes in hot summer and cold winter zone of China. Appl Energy, 2009, 86: 1970-1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.01.012
- Yu J, Yang C, Tian L, et al. A study on optimum insulation thickness of external walls in hot summer and cold winter zone of China. Appl Energy, 2009, 86: 2520-2529. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.03.010