Main Article Content
The Three Character Classic (《三字经》), also translated as San Zi Jing or The Triword Primer, is the traditional Chinese Primer with the most significant influence and the broadest appeal. In the 21st century Chinese traditional cultural revival, traditional texts such as the Three Character Classic are reused as child education primer. Is the Three Character Classic still suitable for contemporary children's literacy and enlightenment? From the perspective of cognitive psychology and child development psychology, this paper used a critical literature review method to investigate the relationship between the Three Character Classic and children's language development, attention, memory, cognition, and moral development. It found that the content, structure, teaching approach of it conform to children's physical and cognitive development during early childhood. The Three Character Classic is not only the primary text for children's Chinese learning but also a valuable tool to understand the spiritual core of traditional Chinese culture. It has a particular value for children's literacy and enlightenment and those who learn Chinese as a second language.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Zhu Z. Translation: An Activity That Cannot Do Without Cultural Awareness. Foreign Language Education, 2016, 37(5): 83-85. (in Chinese)
- Zhao Y and L¨u L. The Times’ Call for English Translation of Chinese Classics-Based on Rhymed English Translations of ThreeWord Primer, Canons for Disciplines and One ThousandWords. Foreign Language Education, 2016, 37(4): 96-99. (in Chinese)
- Li X. The Conflict and Adjustment Between the Translation of Sinology and Cultural Confidence – An Investigation from the Historical Dimension of the Translation and Publication of the Three Character Classic. Science-Technology, & Publication, 2019, 5: 157-160. (in Chinese)
- Wang X. Analysis of the Educational Value of Chinese Traditional Primer Education Contents for Modern Family Construction: Taking “San Zi Jing” and “Di Zi Gui” as Examples. Journal of the Chinese Society of Education, 2019, 9: 44-47. (in Chinese)
- Pan T and Yang Y. The Comprehensive Method of Ideological and Moral Education in the Three Character Classic and Its Contemporary Value. Studies in Ideological Education, 2016, 6: 112-115. (in Chinese)
- Zhu Z and Hu B. San Zi Jing: A Chinese Primer. Childhood Education, 2011, 87(6): 415-420. (in Chinese) https://doi.org/10.1080/00094056.2011.10523225
- Hong JC, Hwang MY, Chen WC, et al. Comparing the Retention and Flow Experience in Playing Solitary and Heart Attack Games of San Zi Jing: A Perspective of Dual Process Theory. Computers, & Education, 2013, 69(11): 369-376. (in Chinese) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2013.07.027
- Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China. Ministry of Education Notice on Printing and Distributing the “The Guidelines for the Improvement of Chinese Excellent Traditional Culture Education”, 2014. http://old.moe.gov.cn//publicfiles/business/htmlfiles/moe/s7061/201404/xxgk_166543.html
- Chinese Traditional Culture and Art Centre. National Primary and Secondary School Experimental Textbook of the Chinese Traditional Culture Education: Three Character Classic. People’s Education Press, 2011. (in Chinese)
- Yulingtong Education Research Institute. Classic Primary School Textbook -Chinese Traditional Culture, Vol. 2. Beijing Normal University Press, 2010. (in Chinese)
- Wang R. The Three-Character A Line Chant. Renmin University of China Press, 2020.
- Gray PX. (n. d.). Initiate a Fascinating Journey of learning Chinese with the Three Character Classic. https://www.mandarininstitute.org/?q=zh-hans/node/120
- Cai R. Three Character Primer and Chinese Character Teaching Materials. Journal of Huaiyin Teachers College (Social Science Edition), 2002, 22(2): 105-109. (in Chinese)
- Liu JTC. The Classical Chinese Primer: Its Three-Character Style and Authorship. Journal of the American Oriental Society, 1985, 105(2): 191-196. (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.2307/601700
- Liang N. Contemporary Cognitive Psychology. Shanghai Education Press, 2014. (in Chinese)
- Xiao S, Shen Z and Yuan X. (Eds.). Child Development and Educational Psychology. Science Press, 2016. (in Chinese)
- Xu Z. Traditional Enlightenment School and Enlightenment Studies. China Social Sciences Press, 2017. (in Chinese)
- Liu M and Zhao N. (Eds.). Developmental Psychology. Tsinghua University Press, 2017. (in Chinese)