Research on the export competitiveness of aquatic products and its influencing factors: A case study of Guangdong Province in China
Main Article Content
Guangdong Province is a major producer of aquatic products in China, but its export has been lack of competitiveness. Based on data of aquatic products in Guangdong Province from 2009 to 2020, this paper analyzes the export competitiveness and influencing factors of aquatic products in Guangdong Province using an extended gravitational model and result show that production factor input and high-quality production management are the core factors to enhance the export competitiveness of aquatic products. The geographical distance of importing countries and GDP per capita have a significant positive impact; The impact of the fisheries industry and construction industry is significantly positive; Whether the exporting country is an APEC has a significant negative impact, indicating that the previous trade agreements have no effect on the improvement of the export competitiveness of aquatic products in Guangdong Province over time. It has no significant impact on fish breeding area, the number of processing enterprises above designated size and the openness of foreign trade. Reducing the density of aquaculture, increasing innovation, strengthening the supervision of aquatic products and improving the supporting facilities of related industries are important measures to improve the export competitiveness of aquatic products in Guangdong Province.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Ligeon C, Jolly CM and Jackson JD. Evaluation of the possible threat of NAFTA on US catfish industry using a traditional import demand function. Journal of Food Distribution Research, 1996, 27(2): 33-41. https://doi.org/10.22004/ag.econ.27066
- Fontagné L, Kirchbach FV and Mimouni M. An Assessment of Environmentally-related Non-tariff Measures. World Economy, 2005, 28: 1417-1439. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9701.2005.00742.x
- Zhang Y, Zhao L and Chen Y. Research on China's aquatic product export trade under the "the Belt and Road" strategy -- taking Shandong Province as an example. Journal of Xiamen University (Philosophy and Social Sciences Edition), 2018, 4: 135-144.
- Yang Z, Zhang J, Yang C, et al. Analysis of the factors affecting the fluctuation of China's cephalopod aquatic products export trade. Ocean and Lake Bulletin, 2021, 43: 139-146.
- Lu K, Wang X, Pierre F, et al. Measurement of the impact of Sino-US trade friction on the international trade level of China's aquatic products. Agricultural Economic, 2021,8: 125-134.
- Wang H, Luo H, Sun W, et al. Analysis of China's aquatic products export competitiveness based on the diamond model -- taking Shandong Province as an example. World Agriculture, 2016, 9: 150-156.
- Wang X, Wu S, Zhao M, et al. Global value chain participation of China's agricultural products and its impact on international competitiveness: evidence based on enterprise microdata China's agricultural resources and zoning, 2022, 1-11.
- Zhang M. Grey correlation analysis of factors affecting the international competitiveness of China's aquatic processing industry. International Business (Journal of the University of International Business and Economics), 2008, 6: 84-89.
- Puertas R, Martí L and García L. Logistics performance and export competitiveness: European experience. Empirica, 2014, 41: 467-480. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10663-013-9241-z
- Hu Q and Huo X. Analysis of aquatic products trade structure based on comparative advantage. Agricultural Economic, 2007, 12: 20-26.
- Gopinath M and Kennedy PL. Agricultural Trade and Productivity Growth: A State level Analysis. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2000, 82: 1213-1218. https://doi.org/10.1111/0002-9092.00123
- Kalaitzandonakes NG. Agrobiotechnology and competitiveness. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2000, 82(5): 1224-1233. https://doi.org/10.1111/0002-9092.00125
- Zhang Y and Du W. The fluctuation of the trade price of aquatic products resources between China and ASEAN -- taking the export price of frozen mackerel as an example. Journal of Natural Resources, 2020, 35: 2191-204. https://doi.org/10.31497/zrzyxb.20200912
- Wang L, Hu J, Zhao L, et al. Analysis of the international competitiveness of China's aquatic products. Agricultural Outlook, 2015, 11: 62-69.
- Cai X, Chen Y and Chen J. Empirical analysis of the factors affecting the international competitiveness of China's aquatic products. Journal of Dalian University of Technology (Social Science Edition), 2018, 39(2): 47-54.
- Xu L, Sun H and Wang Y. Analysis of China's aquatic products trade situation under the new development pattern of ``double circulation". China Fisheries Economy, 2020, 38: 1-7.
- Teng L, Wang Y, Meng Z, et al. Research on strategies to improve the export competitiveness of aquatic products in Shandong Province. Shandong Agricultural Science, 2021, 53: 151-156.
- Shao G and Dong X. Research on the Factors Affecting the International Competitiveness of China's Marine Fisheries. China Fisheries Economy, 2020, 38: 72-83.
- Jiang J, Li Y and Zheng L. Research on China's product quality premium based on international trade. International Trade, 2016, 8: 62-73.
- Liu L. Analysis of China's export competitiveness of aquatic products based on the diamond model -- taking Fujian Province as an example. World Agriculture, 2017, 6: 150-157.
- Cai Y, Ma L and Wang G. Analysis of China's fruit international competitiveness based on gravity model--Take fresh apple as an example. Price Monthly, 2017, 6: 83-86.
- Sun W. The path choice of China's aquatic products industry from comparative advantage to competitive advantage. World Economic Research, 2005, 9: 55-59.
- Zhang M. The international competitiveness of China's aquatic products in the United States and Japan: an analysis based on performance and quality. International Business (Journal of the University of International Business and Economics), 2010, 2: 77-83.
- Han L. Research on China's aquatic products export competitiveness and development strategy. World Agriculture, 2014, 7: 78-81.
- Zhang L and Yu F. Research on the international competitiveness of agricultural products between China and countries along the Silk Road -- based on transnational dynamic panel data. Macroeconomic Research, 2019, 1: 49-64.
- Zheng J and Zeng W. Discuss the competitive advantage of Guangdong aquatic products export based on the ``diamond model''. Guangdong Agricultural Science, 2011, 38: 172-174.
- Chen B, Zhang D and Yang Z. Analysis of the international competitiveness of China's exported aquatic products. Price Monthly, 2018, 4: 80-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2017.11.045
- Guo M. Comparison of International Competitiveness of China's Tourism Service Trade -- An Empirical Study Based on the Extended Gravity Model. Research World, 2019, 9: 61-65.
- Wu J. Research on the International Competitiveness of Chinese Apple Exported to ASEAN. Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, 2020.
- Liao Y and Zhou F. Empirical Study on the International Competitiveness of Chinese Pork Products. International Economic and Trade Exploration, 2011, 27: 25-33.
- Jiang D and Zhang Q. Analysis of the gravity model of US direct investment in China. World Economy, 2011, 34: 26-41.
- Dong H, Zhang S and Liu G. The impact of free trade zones on China's import and export trade -- an empirical analysis based on gravity model. Journal of Northeast Normal University (Philosophy and Social Sciences Edition), 2002, 2: 112-118.