Main Article Content
Nowadays, the use of natural fiber reinforced polymer-based composites is gradually increasing day by day for their many advantages for civil engineering construction applications. Due to their many advantages for polymer-based composite materials are widely used in civil construction, automobiles, aerospace, and many others. Natural fibers such as jute, kenaf, pineapple, sugarcane, hemp, oil palm, flax, and leaf, etc. are cheap, environmentally friendly, renewable, completely and partially biodegradable which can be utilized to obtain new high-performance polymer materials. These composites are having satisfactory mechanical properties (i.e. tensile properties, flexural stress-strain behavior, fracture toughness, and fracture strength) which make them more attractive than other composites. Due to easy availability and renewability, natural fibers can be used as an alternative of synthetic fibers as a reinforcing agent. The aim of this paper is to review different natural fibers reinforced based polymer composites with mechanical characterization, applications, also shows the opportunities, challenges and future demand of natural composite material towards civil applications.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- May-Pat A, Valadez-Gonz´alez A and Herrera-Franco P J. Effect of fiber surface treatments on the essential work of fracture of HDPE-continuous henequen fiber-reinforced composites. Polymer Testing, 2013, 32(6): 1114-1122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2013.06.006
- Uddin N, Ed. Developments in Fiber-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composites for Civil Engineering. Elsevier, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1533/9780857098955
- Saira T, Munawar MA and Khan S. Natural Fiber- Reinforced Polymer Composites. Proceedings of the Pakistan Academy of Sciences, 2007, 44(2): 129-144.
- Faruk O, Bledzki AK, Fink HP, et al. Biocomposites Reinforced with Natural Fibers: 2000-2010. Progress in Polymer Science, 2012, 37(11): 1552-1596. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2012.04.003
- Nguong CW, Lee SNB and Sujan D. A Review on Natural Fibre Reinforced Polymer Composites. International Journal of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, 2013, 7(1): 52-59.
- Zini E and Scandola M. Green Composites: An Overview. Polymer Composites. 2011, 32(12): 1905-1915. https://doi.org/10.1002/pc.21224
- Ticoalu A, Aravinthan T and Cardona T. A review of current development in natural fiber composites for structural and infrastructure applications. Southern Region Engineering Conference (SREC’10), Toowoomba, Australia, 2010, 113-117.
- Akil HM, Omar MF, Mazuki AAM, et al. Kenaf fiber reinforced composites: A review. Material and Design, 2011, 32(8-9):4107-4121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.04.008
- Thwe MM and Liao K. Characterization Of Bamboo-Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer Matrix Hybrid Composite. Journal Of Materials Science Letters, 2000, 19: 1873 - 1876. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006731531661
- Jiang L, Huang J, Qian J, et al. Study of Poly(3- hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) (PHBV)/Bamboo Pulp Fiber Composites: Effects of Nucleation Agent and Compatibilizer. Journal of Polymers and the Environment, 2008, 16(2): 83-93. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10924-008-0086-7
- Okubo K, Fujii T and Yamamoto Y. Development of bamboo-based polymer composites and their mechanical properties. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2004, 35(3): 377-383. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2003.09.017
- Affan Usmani M and Anas M. Study of Natural Fibre Reinforced Composites. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2018, 404: 012-048. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/404/1/012048
- Balaji A, Karthikeyan B and Sundar Raj C. Bagasse Fiber - The Future BiocompositeMaterial: A Review. International Journal of Chem Tech Research, 2014-2015, 7(1): 223-233.
- Gunti R and Atluri RP. Study on effect of chemical treatments and concentration of jute on tensile properties of long and continuous twisted jute/polypropylene composite. Advanced materials manufacturing and characterization, 2013, 3(1): 395-398. https://doi.org/10.11127/ijammc.2013.02.073
- Bongarde US and Shinde VD. Review on natural fiber reinforcement polymer composites, International Journal of Engineering Science and Innovative Technology (IJESIT). 2014, 3(2): 431-436.
- Vijay KT, Manju KT and Raju KG. Review: Raw Natural Fiber-Based Polymer Composites. International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization, 2014, 19(3): 256- 271. https://doi.org/10.1080/1023666X.2014.880016
- Ali M. Natural fibres as construction materials. Journal of Civil Engineering and Construction Technology, 2012, 3(3): 80-89. https://doi.org/10.5897/JCECT11.100
- Tsien TH. Raw materials for old papermaking in China. Journal of the American Oriental Society, 1973, 93(4): 510- 519. https://doi.org/10.2307/600169
- Staiger MP and Tucker N. Natural-fibre composites in structural applications, Properties and performance of naturalfibre composites, K. L. Pickering, Ed., ed Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing Limited and CRC Press LLC, 2008, 269-300. https://doi.org/10.1533/9781845694593.2.269
- Abilash N and Sivapragash M. Environmental benefits of eco-friendly natural fiber reinforced polymeric composite materials. International Journal of application or innovation in Engineering and management (IJAIEM), 2013, 2(1): 53- 59.
- Athijayamani A, Thiruchitrambalam M, Natarajan U, et al. Effect of Moisture Absorption on the Mechanical Properties of Randomly Oriented Natural Fibers/Polyester Hybrid Composite. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 2009, 517(1): 344-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2009.04.027
- Yousif BF and Ku H. Suitability of using coir fiber/polymeric composite for the design of liquid storage tanks. Material & design, 2012, 36: 847-853. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.01.063
- Nadir A, Songklod J, Vallayuth F, et al. Coir Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene Composite Panel for Automotive Interior Applications. Fibers and polymer, 2011, 12(7), 919- 926. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12221-011-0919-1
- Verma D, Gope PC, Shandilya A, et al. Coir Fiber Reinforcement and Application in Polymer Composites: A Review. Journal of Material Environment science, 2013, 4(2): 263-276.
- Charoenvaisarocha AC, Jongjit H and Joseph K. Materials and mechanical properties of pretreated coir-based green composites. Composites: part B, 2009, 40: 633-637. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2009.04.009
- Chadramohan D and Marimuthu k. Tensile and Hardness Tests on Natural Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composite Material. International Journal of advanced engineering science and technologies, 2011, 6(1): 97-104.
- Babatunde OE, Yatim JM,Ishak MY, et al. Potentials of kenaf fibre in bio-composite production: A review. Jurnal Teknologi (Sciences & Engineering), 2015, 77(12): 23-30. https://doi.org/10.11113/jt.v77.6304
- Webber CL and Bledsoe VK. Kenaf Yield Components and Plant Composition. Trends in New Crops and New Uses, 2002, 348-357.
- Dash D, Samanta S, Gautum SS, et al. Mechanical characterization of natural fiber reinforced composite material. Advanced material manufacturing and characterization, 2013, 3(1): 275-280. https://doi.org/10.11127/ijammc.2013.02.050
- Tajuddin M, Ahmad Z and Ismail H. A review of natural fibers and processing operations for the production of binderless boards. BioResources, 2016, 11(2): 5600-5617.
- Zhu JC, Zhu HJ, Njuguna J, et al. Recent Development of Flax Fibres and Their Reinforced Composites Based on Different Polymeric Matrices. Materials (Basel), 2013, 6(11): 5171-5198. https://doi.org/10.3390/ma6115171
- Lu N, Swan Jr RH and Ferguson I. Composition, structure, and mechanical properties of hemp fiber reinforced composite with recycled high-density polyethylene matrix. Journal of Composite Materials, 2011, 0(0): 1-11.
- Shahzad A. A Study in Physical and Mechanical Properties of Hemp Fibres. Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2013, 8: 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/325085
- Lopattananon N, Panawarangkul K, Sahakaro K, et al. Performance of pineapple leaf fiber-natural rubber composites: the effect of fiber surface treatments. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2006, 102(2): 1974-1984. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.24584
- Cherian M, Narine S, Souza S F, Sain M, et al. 7 - The use of pineapple leaf fibers (PALFs) as reinforcements in composites. Biofiber Reinforcements in Composite Materials, 2015, 211-235. https://doi.org/10.1533/9781782421276.2.211
- Rohit K and Dixit S. A Review - Future Aspect of Natural Fiber Reinforced Composite. Polymers from Renewable Resources, 2016, 7(2): 43-59. https://doi.org/10.1177/204124791600700202
- Md Shah A U, Sultan M T H, Jawaid M, et al. A review on the tensile properties of bamboo fiber reinforced polymer composites. BioResource, 2016, 11(4): 10654-10676. https://doi.org/10.15376/biores.11.4.Shah
- Lipp-Symonowicz B, Sztajnowski S andWojciechowska D. New Commercial Fibres Called ‘Bamboo Fibres’ - Their Structure and Properties. Fibres and Textiles in Eastern Europe, 2011, 19(1): 18-23.
- O’Donnell A, Dweib A and Wool R. Natural fiber composites with plant oil-based resin. Composites Science and Technology, 2004, 64(9): 1135-1145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2003.09.024
- Namvar F, Jawaid M, Tahir PM, et al. Potential Use of Plant Fibers and their Composites for biomedical Applications. Cellulosics for Biomed uses, BioResources, 2014, 9(3): 5688-5706. https://doi.org/10.15376/biores.9.3
- Ochi S. Mechanical properties of kenaf fibers and kenaf/ PLA composites. Mechanics of Materials, 2008, 40(4- 5): 446-452. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmat.2007.10.006
- Karina M, Onggo H and Syampurwadi A. Physical and Mechanical Properties of Natural Fibers Filled Polypropylene Composites and Its Recycle. Journal of Biological Sciences, 2007, 7: 393-396. https://doi.org/10.3923/jbs.2007.393.396
- Eichhorn S and J Mater Sci. Review: Current international research into cellulosic fibres and composites. Journal of Materials Science, 2011, 36(9): 2107-2131.
- Maya M G, Soney C George1, Thomasukutty J, et al. Mechanical Properties of Short Sisal Fibre Reinforced Phenol Formaldehyde Eco-Friendly Composites. Polymers from Renewable Resources, 2017, 8(1): 27-42 https://doi.org/10.1177/204124791700800103
- Prakash R B, Satish S and Thomas Renald C J. Investigation on Tensile and Flexural Properties of Coir Fiber Reinforced Isophthalic Polyester Composites. International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 2014 2: 2347-5161.
- Lu N, Swan R H and Ferguson I. Composition, structure, and mechanical properties of hemp fiber reinforced composite with recycled high-density polyethylene matrix. Journal of Composite Materials, 2011, 46(16): 1915-1924. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998311427778
- Gurunathan T, Mohanty S and Nayak S K. A review of the recent developments in biocomposites based on natural fibres and their application perspectives. Compos. Part A. Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2015, 77: 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2015.06.007
- ...... More