Main Article Content
The corrosion behaviors of six Fe-19Ni-13/21Cr-xAl (x = 0, 2, 6 at. %) alloys in 10% CH4/H2 at 800oC were investigated. 2 at. % Al did not affect the corrosion resistance obviously, while 6 at. % Al reduced the carbon attack completely for Fe-19Ni-13Cr-6Al but was still insufficient to form protective alumina scales for alloys with 21 at. % Cr. An increase of Cr content changed the appearance of the internal carburization zone under the optical microscope. Stability diagrams of M-C-O system（M= Cr, Fe）were established to estimate the diffusion paths of carbon in the alloys.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Rahmel A, Grabke HJ and Steinkusch W. Carburization-introductory survey. Materials and Corrosion, 1998, 49(4): 221-225. https://ur.booksc.org/book/127940/b9421d
- Grabke HJ. Thermodynamics, mechanisms and kinetics of metal dusting. Materials and Corrosion, 1998, 49(5): 303-308. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1521-4176(199805)49:5h303::AID-MACO303i3.0.CO;2-P
- Gheno T, Monceau D, Zhang JQ, et al. Carburisation of ferritic Fe-Cr alloys by low carbon activity gases. Corrosion Science, 2011, 53(9): 2767-2777. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2011.05.013
- Salas O, Melo-Maximo DV, Oseguera J, et al. Role of PVD oxide coatings on HK40 cast steel during short and long exposure to C-rich atmospheres. Materials Characterization, 2013, 83: 58-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchar.2013.05.016
- Olivares RI, Young DJ, Nguyen TD, et al. Resistance of High-Nickel, Heat-Resisting Alloys to Air and to Supercritical CO2 at High Temperatures. Oxidation of Metals, 2018, 90: 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11085-017-9820-7
- Nguyena TD, Fontaine AL, Yang LM, et al. Atom probe study of impurity segregation at grain boundaries in chromia scales grown in CO2 gas. Corrosion Science, 2018, 132: 125-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2017.12.024
- Young DJ and Zhang JQ. Alloy Corrosion by Hot CO2 Gases. JOM, 2018, 70: 1493-1501. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-018-2944-7
- Yamamoto Y, Brady MP, Lu ZP, et al. Creep-resistant, Al2O3-forming austenitic stainless steels, Science, 2007, 316(5823): 433-436. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1137711
- Mitchell DRG and Young DJ. The effect of molybdenum and aluminum additions on the carburization behavior of high temperature steel. Journal of Materials Science Letters, 1993, 12: 1076-1079. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00420526
- Becker P and Young DJ. Carburization resistance of nickel-base, heat-resisting alloys. Oxidation of Metals, 2007, 67: 267-277. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11085-007-9058-x
- Allam IM. Carburization/oxidation behavior of alloy Haynes-214 in methane-hydrogen gas mixtures. Oxidation of Metals, 2009, 72: 127-144. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11085-009-9151-4
- Liu S, Guo QQ, Wu XF, et al. Carburization of three Fe-19Ni-21Cr-xAl (x = 0, 2, 6 at.%) alloys at 900◦C in oxygen-contaminated CH4/H2 atmospheres, Corrosion Science, 2016, 111: 436-445. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2016.05.008
- Liu S, Shen J, Wu XF, et al. The effect of sulphur on the carburization of three Fe-19Ni-13Cr alloys with various Al additions at 900◦C in oxygen-contaminated CH4-H2-H2S atmospheres, Corrosion Science, 2016, 112: 94-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2016.07.012
- Roine A. HSA Chemistry Version 6.0, Outokumpu Research, Oy, Finland, 2006.
- Young DJ. High Temperature Oxidation and Corrosion of Metal, 1st ed., Elsevier, Great Britain, 2008.
- Grabke HJ. Carburization carbide formation, metal dusting, coking. Materials Technology, 2002, 36: 297-305.
- Christ HJ. Experimental characterization and computer-based description of the carburization behaviour of the austenitic stainless steel AISI 304L, Materials and Corrosion, 1998, 49(4): 258-265. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1521-4176(199804)49:4h258::AID-MACO258i3.0.CO;2-U
- Udyavar M and Young DJ. Precipitate morphologies and growth kinetics in the internal carburisation and nitridation of Fe-Ni-Cr alloys. Corrosion Science, 2000, 42(5): 861-883. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-938X(99)00095-5
- Smith GM, Young DJ and Trimm DL. Carburization kinetics of heat-resistant steels. Oxidation of Metals, 1982, 18: 229-243. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00656570
- Birks N, Meier GH and Pettit FS. Introduction to the High-Temperature Oxidation of Metals, 2nd ed., Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom, 2006.
- Young DJ and Zhang J. Metal dusting: catastrophic corrosion by carbon. JOM, 2012, 64: 1461-1469. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-012-0476-0