Main Article Content
Psychological cognition is an important aspect in human psychology and management. This article is aimed to look at interpersonal emotional management interpersonal emotion management as a theoretical important indicator of job satisfaction. The main discussion is on how to predict employees’ job satisfaction through the implementation of interpersonal emotion management strategies and the main source of research is review of existing literature. This review addresses the gap in the literature by reviewing the role of interpersonal emotional management on followers’ job performance. This review finds the relationship between interpersonal emotional management which consists of four dimensions: circumstance adjustment, attentional placement, cognitive change, modulation of emotional response and job satisfaction. Overall, this literature review contributes to the interpersonal emotion management and job satisfaction literatures by providing meaningful management implications to the organizations.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Ashforth BE and Humphrey RH. Emotion in the workplace: A reappraisal. Human Relations, 1995, 48(2): 97-125. ISO. Language Of Temporal Ordering Specification, ISO 8807, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679504800201
- Ashforth BE and Humphrey RH. Emotion in the workplace: A reappraisal. Human Relations, 1995, 48(2): 97-125. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679504800201
- Ashkanasy NM and Daus CS. Emotion in the workplace: The new challenge for managers. Academy of Management Perspectives, 2002, 16(1): 76-86. https://doi.org/10.5465/ame.2002.6640191
- Riggio RE and Reichard RJ. The emotional and social intelligences of effective leadership. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 2008, 23(2): 169-85. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940810850808
- Hao Y, Farooq Q and Sun Y. Development of theoretical framework and measures for the role of social media in realizing corporate social responsibility through native and non-native communication modes: Moderating effects of cross-cultural management. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 2018, 25(4): 704-711. https://doi.org/10.1002/csr.1523
- Durlak JA, Domitrovich CE, Weissberg RP, et al. Handbook of social and emotional learning: Research and practice, 2015.
- Aldao A, Sheppes G and Gross JJ. Emotion Regulation Flexibility. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 2015, 39(3): 263-278. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10608-014-9662-4
- Valaei N and Jiroudi S. Job satisfaction and job performance in the media industry: A synergistic application of partial least squares path modelling. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 2016, 28(5): 984-1014. https://doi.org/10.1108/APJML-10-2015-0160
- Griffin MA, Patterson MG and West MA. Job satisfaction and teamwork: the role of supervisor support. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 2001, 22(5): 537-550. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.101
- Goksel AG, Caz C, Yazici OF, et al. Examination of the Relationship between Organizational Stress and Employee Performance: A Research on Staff Working on Provincial Directorate of Youth and Sports. Journal of Education and Learning, 2017, 6(1): 322-329. https://doi.org/10.5539/jel.v6n1p322
- Alegre I, Mas-Machuca M and Berbegal-Mirabent J. Antecedents of employee job satisfaction: Do they matter? Journal of Business Research, 2016, 69(4): 1390-1395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.10.113
- Sony M and Mekoth N. The relationship between emotional intelligence, frontline employee adaptability, job satisfaction and job performance. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 2016, 30: 20-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2015.12.003
- Locke EA. What is job satisfaction? Organizational behavior and human performance, 1969, 4(4): 309-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(69)90013-0
- Spector PE. Job satisfaction: Application, assessment, causes and consequences: Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 1997.
- Mintz-Binder RD. Exploring job satisfaction, role issues, and supervisor support of associate degree nursing program directors. Nursing education perspectives, 2014, 35(1): 43-48. https://doi.org/10.5480/11-508.1
- Sultan S and Rashid S. Perceived Social Support Mediating the Relationship between Perceived Stress and Job Satisfaction. Journal on Educational Psychology, 2015, 8(3): 36-42. https://doi.org/10.26634/jpsy.8.3.3103
- Yuh J and Choi S. Sources of social support, job satisfaction, and quality of life among childcare teachers. Social Science Journal, 2017, 54(4): 450-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soscij.2017.08.002
- Gross JJ. The emerging field of emotion regulation: an integrative review. Review of general psychology, 1998, 2(3): 271-299. https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-2618.104.22.1681
- Little LM, Kluemper D, Nelson DL, et al. Development and validation of the interpersonal emotion management scale. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 2012, 85(2): 407-420. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.2011.02042.x
- Williams M. Building genuine trust through interpersonal emotion management: A threat regulation model of trust and collaboration across boundaries. Academy of Management Review, 2007, 32(2): 595-621. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2007.24351867
- Hao Y, Farooq Q and Zhang Y. Unattended social wants and corporate social responsibility of leading firms: R elationship of intrinsic motivation of volunteering in proposed welfare programs and employee attributes. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 2018, 25(6): 1029-1038. https://doi.org/10.1002/csr.1681
- Wright RR, Mohr CD, Sinclair RR, et al. Sometimes less is more: Directed coping with interpersonal stressors at work. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 2015, 36(6): 786–805. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.2002
- Lazarus RS, Kanner AD and Folkman S. Emotions: A cognitive–phenomenological analysis. Theories of emotion, 1980: 189-217.
- Niven K, Totterdell P and Holman D. A classification of controlled interpersonal affect regulation strategies. Emotion, 2009, 9(4): 498-509. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0015962
- Ashkanasy NM and Dorris AD. Emotions in the workplace. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 2017, 4: 67-90. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-orgpsych-032516-113231
- Hao Y, Zhang Y and Farooq Q. The contribution of leading firms in environmental sustainability: Dampening the detrimental effect of political capital ties. International journal of environmental science and technology, 2018, 15(12), 2581-2594. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-018-2035-x
- Hajdukova A and Klementova J. The Job Satisfaction as a Regulator of the Working Behaviour Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2015, 190: 471-476.
- Cropanzano R and Mitchell MS. Social exchange theory: An interdisciplinary review. Journal of management, 2005, 31(6): 874-900. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206305279602
- Little LM, Gooty J and Williams M. The role of leader emotion management in leader–member exchange and follower outcomes. The Leadership Quarterly, 2016, 27(1): 85-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2015.08.007
- Zhang L, Farooq Q, Zhang Y, et al. Fair Value and Mispricing: How Domestic Earnings Transparency of Listed Firms Leads to Global Financial Stability. European Journal of International Management, 2019(In Press). https://doi.org/10.1504/EJIM.2020.10019072
- Grant AM. Rocking the boat but keeping it steady: The role of emotion regulation in employee voice. Academy of Management Journal, 2013, 56(6): 1703-1723. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2011.0035
- Fisk GM and Friesen JP. Perceptions of leader emotion regulation and LMX as predictors of followers’ job satisfaction and organizational citizenship behaviors. Leadership Quarterly, 2012, 23(1): 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2011.11.001
- Gross JJ. Handbook of emotion regulation: Guilford publications, 2013.
- Farooq Q, Hao Y, Liu X. Understanding corporate social responsibility with cross‐cultural differences: A deeper look at religiosity. Corp Soc Resp Env Ma. 2019: 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/csr.1736
- Liu W, Liao H and Campbell EM. “Interpersonal Emotion Management, Emotions, and Trust”. Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2015, 1: 17440. https://doi.org/10.5465/ambpp.2015.17440abstract
- Hülsheger UR, Alberts HJ, Feinholdt A, et al. Benefits of mindfulness at work: the role of mindfulness in emotion regulation, emotional exhaustion, and job satisfaction. J Appl Psychol, 2013, 98(2): 310-325. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0031313
- Matta FK, Erol-Korkmaz HT and Johnson RE, et al. Significant work events and counterproductive work behavior: The role of fairness, emotions, and emotion regulation. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 2014, 35(7): 920-944. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.1934
- Farooq Q, Fu P, Hao Y, et al. A Review of Management and Importance of E-Commerce Implementation in Service Delivery of Private Express Enterprises of China, (2018). SAGE Open, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244018824194