Main Article Content
The impact of environmental pollution on human health has become a consensus. Based on the provincial panel data of China from 2002 to 2017, this paper analyzes the impact of industrial wastes on human health. With respect to human health, average annual frequency of physician visits per capita (AAFPV) is used as a measure for the short-term human health; all-cause mortality is used to illustrate the long-term human health. The results show that in the short term, with the level of industrial smoke dust increasing every 1 percentage, AAFPV would increase by 0.24 percentage. This effect is significant in East China and West China. Central China is affected by industrial waste water, with a rate of increasing AAFPV by 0.12 percent for every 1 percent increase of chemical oxygen demand per unit area. In the long term, water pollution is the main influencing factor of all-cause mortality.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Chen WQ, Zheng RS, Baade PD, et al. Cancer statistics in China, 2015. CA Cancer Journal Clinicians, 2016, 66(2): 115-32. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21338
- Zhou C. Lung cancer molecular epidemiology in China: recent trends. Translational Lung Cancer Research, 2014, 3(5): 270-279.
- Ebenstein A, Fan M, Greenstone M, et al. Growth, Pollution, and Life Expectancy: China from 1991-2012. American Economic Review: Papers & Proceedings, 2015, 105(5): 226-231. https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.p20151094
- Zhang Y, Wu J and Xu B. Human health risk assessment of groundwater nitrogen pollution in Jinghui canal irrigation area of the loess region, northwest China. Environmental Earth Sciences, 2018, 77(7): e273. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-018-7456-9
- Chen X, Shao S, Tian Z, et al. Impacts of air pollution and its spatial spillover effect on public health based on China’s big data sample. Journal of Clearen Production, 2017, 142: 915-925. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.02.119
- WuW,Wu P, Yang F, et al. Assessment of heavy metal pollution and human health risks in urban soils around an electronics manufacturing facility. Science of the Total Environment, 2018, 630: 53-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.02.183
- Yang Z, Song Q, Li J, et al. Air pollution and mental health: the moderator effect of health behaviors. Environmental Research Letters, 2021, 16(4): 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/abe88f
- Lu Z, Chen H, Wang J, et al. The dynamic relationship between environmental pollution, economic development and public health: Evidence from China. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2017, 166: 134-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.08.010
- Hu X, Sun H, Luo X, et al. Health and economic impacts from PM2.5 pollution transfer attributed to domestic trade in China: a provincial-level analysis. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-021-13954-y
- Schultz TW. Investment in Human Capital. Economic Journal, 1961, 82(326): 787. https://doi.org/10.2307/2230051
- Fogel RW. Economic Growth, Population Theory and Physiology: The Bearing of Long-Term Processes on the Making of Economic Policy. American Economic Review, 1994, 3: 369-395. https://doi.org/10.3386/w4638
- Wang DH. Health Human Capital, Economic Growth and Poverty Trap. Economic Research Journal, 2012, 6: 143-155.
- Sen A. Commodities and Capabilities. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Folland S, Goodman AC and Stano M. The economics of health and health care. NJ: Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 2001.
- Grossman M. On the concept of health capital and the demand for health. Journal of Political Economy, 1972, 80(2): 223-255. https://doi.org/10.1086/259880
- Kitawaga EM and Hauser PM. Differential Mortality in the United States of America: A Study in Socioeconomic Epidemiology. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1973. https://doi.org/10.4159/harvard.9780674188471
- Preston SH. The Changing Relation between Mortality and level of Economic Development, Population Studies, 1975, 29(2): 231-248. https://doi.org/10.1080/00324728.1975.10410201
- Fortson JG. Mortality risk and human capital investment: The Impact of HIV/AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa. Review of economics and statistics, 2011, 93(1): 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1162/REST_a_00067
- Chen H. Structural Analysis of the Impact of Health Input on China’s Healthy Human Capital and Economic Growth. Chinese Journal of Population Science, 2010, 2: 92-100.
- Wadsworth MEJ and Kuh DJL. Childhood influences on adult health: a review of recent work from the British 1946 national birth cohort study, the MRC national survey of health and development Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, 1997, 11: 2-20. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3016.1997.d01-7.x
- Ravelli ACJ, Meulen van der JHP, Michels RPJ, et al. Glucose tolerance in adults after prenatal exposure to famine. The Lancet, 1998, 351: 173-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(97)07244-9
- Qi Y and Lu HY. Pollution, health and inequality - crossing the trap of ‘environmental health poverty”. Management World, 2015, 9: 32-51.
- Miao YQ and Chen WJ. Air pollution and health Demands: application of the Grossan model. The Journal of World Economy, 2010, 33(6): 140-160.
- Peng XZ, Tian WH and Liang H. Study on the Healthy Economic Loss of Population Caused by Air Pollution in Shanghai. Fudan Journal (Social Sciences Edition), 2002, 2: 105-111.
- Puig-Junoy J. Measuring Health Production Performance in the OECD. Applied Economics Letters, 1998, 5: 255-259. https://doi.org/10.1080/135048598354933
- Zhang N, Hu AG and Zheng JH. Using Data Envelopment Analysis Approach to Estimate the Health Production Efficiencies in China. Economic Research Journal, 2006, 7: 92-105.
- Hollingsworth B. Non-parametric and parametric applications measuring efficiency in health care. Health Care Management Science, 2003, 6: 203-218. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026255523228
- Alexander CA, Busch G and Stringer K. Implementing and interpreting a data envelopment analysis model to assess the efficiency of health systems in developing countries. IMA Journal of Management Mathematics, 2003, 14(1): 49-63. https://doi.org/10.1093/imaman/14.1.49
- Varabyova Y and Schrey¨ogg J. International comparisons of the technical efficiency of the hospital sector: panel data analysis of OECD countries using parametric and non-parametric approaches. Health Policy, 2013, 112: 70-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthpol.2013.03.003
- Wang J and Chang ZJ. China’s macro health production function: theory and Empirical Analysis. Nankai Economic Studies, 2007, 2: 20-42.
- Feng Y, Cheng J, Shen J, et al. Spatial effects of air pollution on public health in China. Environmental & Resource Economics, 2019, 73(1): 229-250. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10640-018-0258-4
- Zhao Z and Hou ZG. Health Demands of Urban Residents in China and Grossman Model: Evidence from Cross-sectional Data. Economic Research Journal, 2005, 10: 79-90.
- Hu HY. Distribution of Chinese population. Acta Geographica Sinica, 1935, 2: 33-74.
- Chang YX. Harmful factors in the environment and human health. Beijing: Chemical Industry Press, 2003.
- Gao S, Wei YH, Chen W, et al. Spatial Correlation of Manufacturing Agglomeration and Water Pollution in Developed Regions: A Case Study of Wuxi City. Geographical Research, 2011, 5: 902-912.
- Wang XC, Wang BZ and Huang JY. Spatial clustering of water pollution based on spatial autocorrelation. Journal of Environmental Engineering Technology, 2014, 4: 293-298.
- Shi MJ, Zheng D, Lei P, et al. Study on Spatial Pattern and Structural Evolution of Industrial Water Pollution Discharge in China. China Population, Resources and Environment, 2017, 5: 1-7.
- Brettingham M. Men’s life expectancy is catching up with women’s. BMJ: British Medical Journal, 2005, 331(7518): 656-656. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.331.7518.656
- Li J, Zhang BN, Fan JH, et al. A nation-wide multicenter 10-year (1999-2008) retrospective clinical epidemiological study of female breast cancer in China. BMC Cancer, 2011, 11: 364. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-364
- Phillips MR, Liu H and Zhang Y. Suicide and social change in China. Cult Med Psychiatry, 1999, 23: 25-50. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005462530658
- Yip PS, Liu KY, Hu J, et al. Suicide rates in China during a decade of rapid social changes. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol, 2005, 40(10): 792-798. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-005-0952-8
- Liang H. Model analysis of economic and population mortality. Population & Economics, 1994, 4: 3-8.