Main Article Content
The level of heavy metals (Fe, Cu, As, Pb, Cd, Mg, Ca, Hg, Ni, Cr, Zn, Ag, Co, Mo, Se and Al) in soils and food crops (okra, cassava and rice) cultivated within selected mining sites in Ebonyi State, Nigeria were determined using FS240AA Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (AAS) according to the method of American Public Health Association (APHA). Soil samples were collected from Enyigba mining site, Ikwo mining site, AmeriAmekamining site, Izza mining site, MkpumeAkwatakwa mining site and MpumeAkwaokuku mining site while the food crop samples (okra, cassava and rice) were collected from the farmlands within the mining sites. Control samples were collected 500m away from the mining destinations were there was no evidence of mining activities on the soils. A total of sixty sub-samples and six control soil samples were collected for this study. Generally, the values of all the heavy metals analyzed for soil and food crop samples were higher than the values recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO), and those from the control site suggesting possible mobility of the metals from mining sites to farmlands through leaching and runoffs. The findings in this study also revealed that the food crops contain heavy metals exceeding the maximum permissible concentration, and could be detrimental to human health when they are consumed.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Li ZY, Ma ZW, van der Kuijp TJ, et al. A Review of Soil Heavy Metal Pollution from Mines in China: Pollution and Health Risk Assessment. Science of the total environment, 2014, 468: 843-853. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2013.08.090
- Chen L, Zhou SL, Shi YX, et al. Heavy metals in Food Crops, Soil, Andwater in the Lihe River Watershed of the Taihu Region and Their Potential Health Risks When Ingested. Science of the total environment, 2018, 615: 141-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.09.230
- Zhao FJ, Ma Y and Zhu YG. Soil Contamination in China: Current Status and Mitigation Strategies. Environmental Science & Technology, 2015, 49: 750-759. https://doi.org/10.1021/es5047099
- Xiao W, Ye XZ, Zhang Q, et al. Evaluation of Cadmium Transfer from Soil to Leafy Vegetables: Influencing Factors, Transfer Models, and Indication of Soil Threshold Contents. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 2018, 164: 355-362. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2018.08.041
- Facchinelli A, Sacchi E and Mallen L. Multivariate Statistical and Gis-Based Approach to Identify Heavy Metal Sources in Soils. Environmental Pollution, 2001, 114: 313-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(00)00243-8
- Anju M and Banerjee DK. Multivariate Statistical Analysis of Heavy Metals in Soils of a Pbezn Mining Area, India. Environmental monitoring and assessment, 2012, 184: 4191-4206. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-011-2255-8
- Gu YG, Li QS, Fang JH, et al. Identification of Heavy Metal Sources in the Reclaimed Farmland Soils of the Pearl River Estuary in China Using a Multivariate Geostatistical Approach. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 2014, 105: 7-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2014.04.003
- Zhuang P, McBride MB and Xia H. Health Risk from Heavy Metals Via Consumption of Food Crops in the Vicinity of Dabaoshan Mine, South China. Science of the Total Environment, 2009, 407: 1551-1561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2008.10.061
- Zhang JR, Li HZ, Zhou YZ, et al. Bioavailability and Soil-to-Crop Transfer of Heavy Metals in Farmland Soils: A Case Study in the Pearl River Delta, South China. Environmental Pollution, 2018, 235: 710-719. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2017.12.106
- Huang LK, Wang Q, Zhou QY, et al. Cadmium Uptake from Soil and Transport by Leafy Vegetables: A Meta-Analysis. Environmental Pollution, 2020, 264: 114677. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2020.114677
- Eze VC, Enyoh CE and Ndife CT. Soil Cationic Relationships, Structural and Fertility Assessment within selected active dumpsites in Nigeria, Chemistry Africa. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42250-020-00194-9
- Cai LM, Xu ZC, Qi JY, et al. Assessment of Exposure to Heavy Metals and Health Risks among Residents near Tonglushan Mine in Hubei, China. Chemosphere, 2015, 127: 127-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2015.01.027
- Jia ZM, Li SY and Wang L. Assessment of Soil Heavy Metals for Eco-environment and Human Health in a Rapidly Urbanization Area of the Upper Yangtze Basin. Scientific reports, 2018, 8: 3256. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-21569-6
- Eze VC, Ndife CT and Muogbo MO. Carcinogenic and non-carcinogenic health risk assessment of heavy metals in Njaba River, Imo State, Nigeria. Brazilian Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 2021. https://doi.org/10.30744/brjac.2179-3425.AR-05-2021
- Ji K, Kim J, Lee M, et al. Assessment of Exposure to Heavy Metals and Health Risks among Residents near Abandoned Metal Mines in Goseong, Korea. Environmental Pollution, 2013, 178: 322-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2013.03.031
- Boussen S, Soubrand M and Bril H. Transfer of Lead, Zinc and Cadmium from Mine Tailings to Wheat (TriticumAestivum) in Carbonated Mediterranean (Northern Tunisia) Soils. Geoderma, 2013, 192: 227-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2012.08.029
- Douay F, Pelfrene A, Planque J, et al. Assessment of Potential Health Risk for Inhabitants Living near a Former Lead Smelter. Part 1: Metal Concentrations in Soils, Agricultural Crops, and Homegrown Vegetables. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 2013, 185: 3665-3680. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-012-2818-3
- Antoniadis V, Shaheen SM, Boersch J, et al. Bioavailability and Risk Assessment of Potentially Toxic Elements in Garden Edible Vegetables and Soils around a Highly Contaminated Former Mining Area in Germany. Journal of Environmental Management, 2017, 186: 192-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2016.04.036
- Li XY, Li ZG, Lin CJ, et al. Health Risks of Heavy Metal Exposure through Vegetable Consumption near a Large-Scale Pb/Zn Smelter in Central China. Ecotox. Process Safety And Environmental Protection, 2018, 161: 99-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2018.05.080
- Guo GH, Zhang DG and Wang YT. Probabilistic Human Health Risk Assessment of Heavy Metal Intake Via Vegetable Consumption around Pb/Zn Smelters in Southwest China. International Journal Of Environmental Research And Public Health, 2019, 16: 3267. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16183267
- Onwukeme VI and Eze VC. Identification of Heavy Metals Source within Selected Active Dumpsites in Southeastern Nigeria, Environmental Analysis Health and Toxicology. 2021. https://doi.org/10.5620/eaht.2021008
- Eze VC, Onwukeme VI and Enyoh CE. Pollution status, ecological and human health risks of heavy metals in soil from some selected active dumpsites in Southeastern, Nigeria using energy dispersive X-ray spectrometer, International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1080/03067319.2020.1772778
- Li N, Kang Y, Pan WJ, et al. Concentration and Transportation of Heavy Metals in Vegetables and Risk Assessment of Human Exposure to Bioaccessible Heavy Metals in Soil near aWaste-incinerator Site, South China. Science of the Total Environmen, 2015, 521-522: 144-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2015.03.081
- Li B, Wang YH, Jiang Y, et al. The Accumulation and Health Risk of Heavy Metals in Vegetables around a Zinc Smelter in Northeastern China. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2016, 23: 25114-25126. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-016-7342-5
- Liu WT, Zhou QX, Zhang YL, et al. Lead Accumulation in Different Chinese cabbage Cultivars and Screening for Pollution-Safe Cultivars. Journal of Environmental Management, 2005, 91: 781-788. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2009.10.009
- APHA. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater 19 (American Public Health Association, APHA, AWWA. Washington. DC, 2005.
- APHA. Standard methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater (20thed). New York: American Public Health, Association (APHA), American Water Works Association (AWWA), and Water Pollution Control Federation (WPCF), 1998.
- American standard Test method. Methods for the Examination of soil and Wastewater, 20th Edition, ASTM, AWWA, WEF, 1995.
- Enyoh CE AND Isiuku BO. Characterization of Soils from Floodbasin in Amakohia, Owerri, Nigeria. International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry, 2020, 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/03067319.2020.1773455
- Duru CE, Enyoh CE, Enedoh MC, et al. Assessment of Heavy Metals in Soils from Reclaimed Section of Nekede Mechanic Village, Owerri, Southeastern, Nigeria. Chemistry Africa, 2021, 4: 429-441. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42250-020-00216-6