Main Article Content
The binding pursuits of trans-resveratrol (t-RSV), an amazing health supplement are investigated with an antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase (SOD1). The aim of the study is to dock t-RSV on the adrenaline binding site on SOD1 in order to explore its potential to act as a safety net against amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a fatal neurodegenerative disorder that affects motor neurons. In silico GLIDE docking methodology and in vitro microcalorimetry technique is utilized for the investigation of binding parameters of t-RSV with SOD1. The study provides useful and distinct information about the amino acids involved in the interactions at molecular level along with the nature of forces involved in binding of t-RSV with SOD1. The docking analysis using the scoring functions of Schrodinger's Glide package depicts that GLU100, PRO28, LYS23, TRP32 residues of the peptide backbone on SOD 1 interact with phenolic groups of t-RSV. The information on thermodynamic parameters, i.e. binding constant (Kb), free energy (ΔG) and enthalpy (ΔH) generated through calorimetric titrations suggests that the reaction between t-RSV and SOD 1 is spontaneous and exothermic. Both the studies are found to be in close agreement with each other based as far as the magnitude of binding constant (Kb =9.9 x10 4) is concerned.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Harikumar KB and Aggarwal BB. Resveratrol: a multitargeted agent for age-associated chronic diseases. Cell cycle, 2008, 7(8): 1020-1035. https://doi.org/10.4161/cc.7.8.5740
- Valenzano DR, Terzibasi E, Genade T, et al. Resveratrol prolongs lifespan and retards the onset of age-related markers in a short-lived vertebrate. Current Biology, 2006, 16(3): 296-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2005.12.038
- Baur JA, Pearson KJ, Price NL, et al. Resveratrol improves health and survival of mice on a high-calorie diet. Nature, 2006, 44(7117): 337. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature05354
- Berrougui H, Grenier G, Loued S, et al. A new insight into resveratrol as an atheroprotective compound: inhibition of lipid peroxidation and enhancement of cholesterol efflux. Atherosclerosis, 2009, 207(2): 420-427. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2009.05.017
- Frankel EN, German JB, Kinsella JE, et al. Inhibition of oxidation of human low-density lipoprotein by phenolic substances in red wine. The Lancet, 1993, 341(8843): 454-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(93)90206-V
- Kaindl U, Eyberg I, Rohr-Udilova N, et al. The dietary antioxidants resveratrol and quercetin protect cells from exogenous pro-oxidative damage. Food and chemical toxicology, 2008, 46(4): 1320-1326. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2007.09.002
- Ndiaye M, Philippe C, Mukhtar H, et al. The grape antioxidant resveratrol for skin disorders: promise, prospects, and challenges. Archives of biochemistry and biophysics, 2011, 508(2): 164-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.abb.2010.12.030
- Udenigwe CC, Ramprasath VR, Aluko RE, et al. Potential of resveratrol in anticancer and anti-inflammatory therapy. Nutrition reviews, 2008, 66(8): 445-454. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2008.00076.x
- Robb EL, Winkelmolen L, Visanji N, et al. Dietary resveratrol administration increases MnSOD expression and activity in mouse brain. Biochemical and biophysical research communications, 2008, 372(1): 254-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2008.05.028
- Flanagan SW, Anderson RD, Ross MA, et al. Overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase attenuates neuronal death in human cells expressing mutant (G37R) Cu/Zn-superoxide dismutase. Journal of neurochemistry, 2002, 81(1): 170-177. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1471-4159.2002.00812.x
- Alscher RG, Erturk N and Heath LS. Role of superoxide dismutases (SODs) in controlling oxidative stress in plants. Journal of experimental botany, 2002, 53(372): 1331-1341. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/53.372.1331
- Raychaudhuri SS and Deng XW. The role of superoxide dismutase in combating oxidative stress in higher plants. The Botanical Review, 2000, 66(1): 89-98. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02857783
- Simm A, Nass N, Bartling B, et al. Potential biomarkers of ageing. Biological chemistry, 2008, 389(3): 257-265. https://doi.org/10.1515/BC.2008.034
- Krishna Sree V and Das S. Oxidative Stress and Antioxidant-The Link to Cancer Celebrating 60 years of excellence, 2014: 38.
- Richardson J, Thomas KA, Rubin BH, et al. Crystal structure of bovine Cu, Zn superoxide dismutase at 3 A resolution: chain tracing and metal ligands. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 1975, 72(4): 1349-1353. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.72.4.1349
- Forbes RB, Colville S and Swingler RJ. The epidemiology of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS/MND) in people aged 80 or over. Age and ageing, 2004, 33(2): 131-134. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afh013
- Wright GSA, Antonyuk SV, Kershaw NM, et al. Ligand binding and aggregation of pathogenic SOD1. Nature communications, 2013, 4: 1758. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms2750
- Mitchell JD and Borasio GD. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The Lancet, 2007, 369(9578): 2031-2041. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(07)60944-1
- Traynor BJ, Codd MB, Corr B, et al. Clinical features of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis according to the El Escorial and Airlie House diagnostic criteria: A population-based study. Archives of neurology, 2000, 57(8): 1171-1176. https://doi.org/10.1001/archneur.57.8.1171
- Rosen DR, Siddique T, Patterson D, et al. Mutations in Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase gene are associated with familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Nature, 1993, 362(6415): 59. https://doi.org/10.1038/362059a0
- Logroscino G, Tortelli R, Rizzo G, et al. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: an aging-related disease. Current Geriatrics Reports, 2015, 4(2): 142-153. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13670-015-0127-8
- Ganesalingam J and Bowser R. The application of biomarkers in clinical trials for motor neuron disease. Biomarkers in medicine, 2010, 4(2): 281-297. https://doi.org/10.2217/bmm.09.71
- Ray SS, Nowak RJ, Brown RH, et al. Small-molecule-mediated stabilization of familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis-linked superoxide dismutase mutants against unfolding and aggregation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2005, 102(10): 3639-3644. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0408277102
- Nowak RJ, Cuny GD, Choi S, et al. Improving binding specificity of pharmacological chaperones that target mutant superoxide dismutase-1 linked to familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis using computational methods. Journal of medicinal chemistry, 2010, 53(7): 2709-2718. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm901062p
- Kelly GS. A review of the sirtuin system, its clinical implications, and the potential role of dietary activators like resveratrol: part 2. Alternative medicine review, 2010, 15(3): 245-264.
- Feoktistov IA, Baldenkov GN, Barannik IV, et al. Interaction of calcium agonists and antagonists with Ca-binding proteins and their effect on cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase. Biokhimiia (Moscow, Russia), 1990, 55(4): 754-759.
- Gertz M, Nguyen GTT, Fischer F, et al. A molecular mechanism for direct sirtuin activation by resveratrol. PloS one, 2012, 7(11): e49761. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0049761
- Agarwal B and Baur JA. Resveratrol and life extension. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 2012, 1215(1): 138-143. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2010.05850.x
- Leavitt S and Freire E. Direct measurement of protein binding energetics by isothermal titration calorimetry. Current opinion in structural biology, 2001, 11(5): 560-566. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-440X(00)00248-7
- Ghai R, Falconer RJ and Collins BM. Applications of isothermal titration calorimetry in pure and applied research-survey of the literature from 2010. Journal of Molecular Recognition, 2012, 25(1): 32-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmr.1167
- Nunez S, Venhorst J and Kruse CG. Target-drug interactions: first principles and their application to drug discovery. Drug discovery today, 2012, 17(1-2): 10-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drudis.2011.06.013
- Release, Schrdinger. “2: Maestro, version 9.8; Schrdinger, LLC: New York, NY, USA, 2014. 36. Lew, JM; Kapopoulou, A.; Jones, LM; Cole, ST TubercuList10 years after” Tuberculosis (Edinb), 2011, 91: 17.
- Yamali C, Gul HI, Ece A, et al. Synthesis, molecular modeling, and biological evaluation of 4-
- -aryl-3-(thiophen-2-yl)-4,5-dihydro-1H-pyrazol-1-yl] benzenesulfonamides toward acetylcholinesterase, carbonic anhydrase I and II enzymes. Chemical biology and drug design, 2017, 91(4): 854-866. https://doi.org/10.1111/cbdd.13149
- Friesner RA, Murphy RB, Repasky MP, et al. Extra precision glide: Docking and scoring incorporating a model of hydrophobic enclosure for protein ligand complexes. Journal of medicinal chemistry, 2006, 49(21): 6177-6196. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm051256o
- Halgren TA, Murphy RB, Friesner RA, et al. Glide: a new approach for rapid, accurate docking and scoring. 2. Enrichment factors in database screening. Journal of medicinal chemistry, 2004, 47(7): 1750-1759. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm030644s
- Friesner RA, Banks JL, Murphy RB, et al. Glide: a new approach for rapid, accurate docking and scoring. 1. Method and assessment of docking accuracy. Journal of medicinal chemistry, 2004, 47(7): 1739-1749. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm0306430
- Ahmad E, Rabbani G, Zaidi N, et al. Stereo-selectivity of human serum albumin to enantiomeric and isoelectronic pollutants dissected by spectroscopy, calorimetry and bioinformatics. PloS one, 2011, 6(11): e26186. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0026186
- Neelam S, Gokara M, Sudhamalla B, et al. Interaction studies of coumaroyltyramine with human serum albumin and its biological importance. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B,2010, 114(8): 3005-3012. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp910156k