Main Article Content
During the first period of the covid-19 pandemic, schools in Greece suspended the face-to-face operation for about three months, and teachers were called in an emergency to adjust the teaching methods remotely. The educational community was called to deal with this emergency with the primary goal to maintain students’ contact with the educational process. The urgent use of distance communication and teaching forms was a project with many difficulties for teachers, students, and parents. In all this transition process, the practice and learning communities that teachers themselves organized were crucial. The Greek eTwinning community immediately implemented three MOOC seminars (Mass Open Online Courses), which were designed to assist them in the use and pedagogical utilization of distance education tools. More than 30,000 teachers participated in these seminars. In this paper, we present the results of a survey conducted on a sample of 1080 Greek teachers, members of the eTwinning community, and we describe how they dealt with remotely teaching. The research refers to tools used, the distance communication content, and the difficulties encountered to implement the whole project.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Aliyyah R., Rachmadtullah R., Samsudin A., Syaodih E., Nurtanto M., Tambunan A. (2020). The Perceptions of Primary School Teachers of Online Learning during the COVID-19 Pandemic Period: A Case Study in Indonesia. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED606349.pdf
- Anastasiadis, P. (2017). “ODYSSEUS 2000-2015”: School Distance Education with the use of ICT in primary education. An Evaluation of Research Contribution. Open Education: The Journal of Open and Distance Education and Educational Technology, 13(1), 88-128.
- Andrew A., Cattan S., Costa Dias M., Farquharson C., Kraftman L., Krutikova S., Phimister A. and Sevilla A. (2020). Learning during the lockdown: real-time data on children’s experiences during home learning. https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14848
- Carrillo C., Flores M. (2020). COVID-19 and teacher education: a literature review of online teaching and learning practices. European Journal of Teacher Education, 43(4), 466-487. https://doi.org/10.1080/02619768.2020.1821184
- Dimitrakopoulou, A. (2004). Dimensions of the utilization of information and communication technologies in Greek education: current situation and improvement actions. In M. Iosifidou & N. Tzimopoulos (eds.), Utilization of Information and Communication Technologies in Teaching Practice. Athens: New Technologies Publications, 30-41.
- European Commission. (2003). Investing efficiently in education and training: an imperative for Europe. https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/rep/1/2002/EN/1-2002-779-EN-F1-1.pdf
- Green F. (2020). Schoolwork in lockdown: new evidence on the epidemic of educational poverty. http://www.llakes.ac.uk
- Hodges, C. Moore, S., Lockee, B., Trust, T., & Bond, A. (2020). The Difference between Emergency Remote Teaching and Online Learning. https://er.educause.edu/articles/2020/3/the-difference-between-emergency-remote-teaching-andonline-learning
- Kalogiannakis, M., & Papadakis, S. (2007). The dual form of further education Of educators in ict: technological and pedagogical training. International Conference on Computer Based Learning in Science, 30, 265-276.
- Keegan, D. (1980). On Defining Distance Education. Distance Education, 1, 1. https://www.learntechlib.org/p/164197/
- Kokkos, A. (2010). Adult educators and their education. General Secretariat for Lifelong Learning Institute for Continuing Adult Education (IDEKE).
- Konig J., Daniela J., Glutsch N. (2020). Adapting to online teaching during COVID-19 school closure: teacher education and teacher competence effects among early career teachers in Germany. https://doi.org/10.1080/02619768.2020.1809650
- Manousou E., Hartofylaka T., Ioakeimidou V., Papadimitriou S., & Karagianni E. (2020). Distance education, basic principles and applications. Mass Open Internet Course (MOOC): “Training of Primary & Secondary Education teachers in distance education.” Ministry of Education and EAP. https://learn.eap.gr/mod/url/view.php?id=9151
- Manousou, E, & Lionarakis, A. (2007). International applications of alternative forms of education for primary school students. Open Education - The Journal for Open and Distance Education and Educational Technology, 3(2). https://bit.ly/3dTgQOs
- Papadakis, S., Kalogiannakis, M., Sifaki, E., & Vidakis, N. (2017). Access Moodle using smart mobile phones. A case study in a Greek University. Interactivity, Game Creation, Design, Learning, and Innovation (pp. 376-385). Springer, Cham.
- Papadakis, S., Kalogiannakis, M., Sifaki, E., & Vidakis, N. (2018). Evaluating Moodle use via Smart Mobile Phones. A case study in a Greek University. EAI Endorsed Transactions on Creative Technologies, 5(16), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.4108/eai.10-4-2018.156382
- Raptis, A. & Rapti, A. (2000). Educational Policy and Introduction of New Technologies in Education. In V. Komis (ed.), Information and Communication Technologies in Education, 15-28. Athens: New Technologies Publications.
- Rowntree, D. (1998). Assessing the Quality of Materials-Based Teaching and Learning. Open learning, 13(2), 12-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/0268051980130204
- Sofos A., Darantoumis A., Costas A. (2020). School distance education: Theoretical framework and basic assumptions. Mass Online Open Course of the University of the Aegean.
- Tsinakos, A. (2020). What is happening in Greece and around the world right now, retrieved April 16, 2020. https://edu.ellak.gr/2020/04/02/ex-apostaseos-didaskalia-ti-ine-afto-you-ginete-stin-Ellada-ke-seolo-ton-Kosmo-afti-ti-stigmi/
- Tzovla, E. (2017). Distance professional development of teachers and use of the produced educational material in school education. Open education: the magazine for Open and Distance Education and Educational Technology, 13 (1), 65-75. https://doi.org/10.12681/jode.13971
- UNESCO. (2020). Distance learning solutions. https://en.unesco.org/covid19/educationresponse/solutions
- Vassala, P. (2005). Distance School Education. In A. Lionarakis (Ed.), Open and Distance Education. Pedagogical and Technological Applications. Patras: Hellenic Open University.
- Wenger, E. (1998). Communities of practice: learning, meaning, and identity. New York: Cambridge University. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511803932